TO LIZARDARM, or other who can answer about AQUA LOGIC Chillers.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pravdaseeker

Dear All, and perhaps lizardarm..

Was having temp probs with tank.. improvising a cooling system now..

At 80F, want it 76F.. just enough heat load into tank to raise temps..

Need chiller it looks like..

Question: How long is the flexible cooling hose, that attaches to the cooling coil on the CY-2, and CY-3?

Having trouble finding that info..

Trying to figure if I got a spot figured out to put the chiller unit, orrrrrrr... will I need to re-engineer the entire house...well not quite, but options rapidly running out too..

I was afraid I might need a chiller unit.. I KNOW I will by summer...

Pravdaseeker

Definitely need a chiller. But my tank stays 80 all year round so i wouldn't be worried about it currently if its not fluctuating.

UMMMmm forgot to mention temp was lower..

Hi and thanks,

I apologize for not giving more info.. posted question before more info that appears needed.

Problem is, tank WAS 77, two days ago..

Wondering if adding second Koriola 4 power circulator, put just enough extra heat load into the tank to cause this rise?

Tank is 210 gallon, and yes I did lengthen the lighting a bit. But only an hour ..Which also added heat load. Biggest cause I'm sure..But want a bit of extra lighting for the time being.. argghhh..

I better cut back the lighting some. Living rock getting nice and growth is coming on good for them... the darker colors of the LR may be absorbing more light, like a dark shirt is warmer than a white shirt in the sunshine??

Just freaking a bit... kinda got attached to these stupid fish.. he he..

Had a "incident" with a yellow watchman goby.. but will post THAT in the proper discussion forum.. scary, yet amazing story..

Pravdaseeker

why not get a walmart clip on fan and face at the water to get a nice ripple that will be your chiller also..... most people in vegas use this method and we are just as hot as Az. is

good idea, but....

Good idea..

I would if I could.. got a couple jumpers in there..

Almost lost the yellow watchman goby. He is fine now, eating etc..

If it weren't for the couple of jumpers, I'd give it a go..

Pravdaseeker

Thanks,

I suppose the sump trick with the fan is an option, thank you..

Not sure of your second question, it is phrased odd for me.

I gotta keep the main tank covered due to some jumpers.

The sump is something my pea brain had not considered.

I wonder what the record number of electric cords under a tank is?

Pravdaseeker

LOL, ok, my cellphone is broken!

Hi there,

The tank has 1/2 inch tempered glass lids..

( MY cellphone is broke big time.. new one tomorrow..)

There was just enough room for the goby to jump and hit the glass and ricochet into the internal overflow of the tank, then he went up the siphon tube and down to the water distribution screen for the sump, the cheesegrater looking thing above the bio balls...

Well I noticed him gone for a day or so... so went looking, bingo, there he was living in 1/2 inch of water for a day or two...

trying to kill himself for sure.

PRavdaseeker

BACK to original question/s...

Any info on LENGTH of flexible cooling coil tubing for CY-2, and CY-3 Aqualogic chillers??

Thx.

Pravdaseeker

One can put eggcrate over top and still use a fan. Fans in sump are almost as good, they will reduce chilling needs to a remarkable low level

Are you talking about the drop in chiller type? I think they are about 2 feet, I'm sure you can download that information on their website, I know I did it & found everything I needed. They even sent me a replacement when i got mine because it didn't work right.
I think if you can, preferably over the drop in try looking at plumbing it direct to your tank, all you need is a supply with slow flow.

Thanks fishy fishy

Dear ALL,

The fan on the sump deal sounds pretty good idea to try, worried about it being "enough" when summer arrives though.. But it SHOULD do the trick for now too.

Defer a big investment... til later.. income tax refund time??? lol.

My tank is really looking lovely, beginning to anyhow. The living rock is getting so pretty too...

55 pounds more LR due in today too. Looking forward to arranging it.

Tank is so crystal clear now... uv unit up and running.. wow.

Suicidal yellow goby still cruising the top of tank...yes, he has oodles places to hide and good rocks, etc.; just wants to be king of the overflow weir, or journey of death defying feats to the sump. I rescued him from the screen above bio balls... musta been there a day or so, at least.. Eating ok, etc, just suicidal

To get tank back down where I want it, close to 76 to 77F.. I am floating frozen gel packs.. to gradually bring it down in temp... Bothers me being at top of green zone on thermometer..borderline yellow..

Cant go get much until payday, besides it snowed like a mutha last night, slippery roads and wayyy yucky outside..lol.

CLIP ON FAN FOR SUMP.... will hunt for one..

Pravdaseeker

Thank you scooterman...

Just been so busy the last few..

not sure if the plumbing thing is an option, got a landlord too..he he.. gotta keep him happy.

I KNEW I was in big trouble getting back into salt tanks again..lol; but I am so addicted now. The tank clearing up so nicely in two hours after UV running was such a cool thing to see. MY friend who has a 55 gallon salt tank was amazed at the difference from evening before when he stopped by.

My tank is getting to be SOOOOoooo nice.. The TV has been on maybe 10% of the time compared to PRE-salt tank time.. Tank right next to recliner... major zen thing time.. he he.

Will get more pics later, and fix em in size and post em, after I get new LR in there today. Will put them in my returning to salt tank after 32 yr hiatis thread..

It will be later, as Fed Ex dont show up til 4 pm or so..

It isn't anything like some folks tanks pics I have seen here, but by golly the evolution in that direction is fascinating in its own right.

Thx again, LOVE the website, and info here, EXCELLENT!

Pravdaseeker

Last edited:
You said it not us.

I vote for a fan on the sump and if possible use fish netting over the tank instead of the glass to allow heat to get out.

Wonderful ,

According to MarineDepot, the refrigerant hose on the CY-2 is five feet long. It appears that that is the length for all of Aqualogic's drop ins.
Here's the link-
http://www.marinedepot.com/chillers_aqua_logic_delta-star_cyclone-ap.html

Dear Lizardarm,

This is wonderful news, the 5 foot length allows about the ONLY spot I figured it could go.. very limited on space here.

Well, worse come to worse, it'll work with 5 footer...coool.

Now, all we need is a spare 1k laying around...

Thx again..

Pravdaseeker

Thank you TOO

You said it not us.

I vote for a fan on the sump and if possible use fish netting over the tank instead of the glass to allow heat to get out.

Dear ALL,

Thanks vapor... Going to go the sump fan route, and try to find some netting or grating that will work, remove the middle section of glass top and try to mount netting or grating there, and put fan there also..

Beats trying to cough up a grand right now... but someday, maybe NEED it by summer here. Thanks again to all who weighed in on this topic.

Pravdaseeker

If you have some sort of reef controller like Aqua Controller you cna set it up to turn the fans off and on as needed for heat.

I run my small fan blowing across the top of my tank 24/7

My tank is 450 gallons with sump though. My temp stays between 76.5 and 78 on most days. on the hotter days of the year it might reach 81 but it never cools down so fast that it will cause harm.

Over all you do not want more then a 5 degree swing each way during a 24 hour period.

Back