To Skim or not to Skim

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

staticx is right about turing your skimmer off while feeding, when i dose Nutra-Kol's Nutraplus complete feed ( australian product that was developed by a marine biologist) i turn my skimmers off for an hour and when this stuff gose in the tank gose orange after about an hour the water is very clear so u know the coral is eating
skimmers also pull out coral and anenome wastes bi-products which are NOT simply nitrates and phosphates
i wouldnt not skim how could i run eaither of my sump-less systems with just live rock? as i have no room for a fuge big enough to handle eaither system
not skimming is not an option in sum cases

blah blah blah
when you feed your corals turn your skimmer off, when feeeding picky corals cut a 2 liter bottle in half and place it over the coral then feed it no pesky fish will get in the way. the ocean has a natural skimmer called waves. The waves cause micro bubbles witch in turn produce a skim. if people are not using skimmers, its just because they are old school. People say they do not use skimmer but theyt have to do massive water changes. I say rock on with a big skimmer

LOL Old school? My word. When the goal of most people in this hobby is to cut down wattage in the tank. Skimmerless has its merits. As well as Skimming. But to say its old school? I been doing this for better now 15 years and the turf scrubber era was going real bad so skimmers(ie berlin style) came on strong with better success, Just cause its different dont make it old school, it just is.

dido,

old schoolage.

skimming is the way 2 go

my interapation of a skimmer on the wild is the beach...

every notice what happens to the beach when a oil spill goes down..

the beace collection cup fills up fast...

I run my skimmer in the daytime when I remember to turn it on. It is too noisy to run at night (the tank is across the wall from the bedroom, no other suitable location for it). I do enjoy dumping the nasty skimmate though, it makes me appreciate not having to do so many water changes.

Back