to small of skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
well i wrote this all out once and hit post and it didnt work. lol so here we go again but shorter this time

i got a skimmer that i was told was a euroreef 180 well its not its a rs-80 rated for 80 gallon tank i guess. but it seem to be doing a good job in my tank. so my question is should everything be ok just running that skimmer? it seems to be doing just as good as the aqua-c 180 i had thats still sitting in the sump but isnt plugged in. and i want to take it oue but if the new one isnt going to be ok i need to know

In what tank? theirs not a problem running a skimmer in a tank that's over or undersized... just might not be as efficient

thats about half as much skimming as i would prescribe for 130g.

to get technical, i usually prescribe 600-700lph of air injection for every 100g of display tank,
so that would be about 800-1000lph of air injection for that size tank.
you get like 400-450lph out of your current skimmer.

its only for a couple months. then im going to buy a new skimmer, lights, controller and stuff. i just want to make sure that useing this skimmer for now wont hurt anything

Marlin,
It's not going to hurt a thing. It just won't pull as much of the "gunk" out as an appropriate sized skimmer.

Back