Todd's 125g (Part II = Plumbing of the sump/fuge)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

How many trips to the hardware store did it take you to get all the right pieces? If you are normal, at least 3. I would also have atleast 20 pieces to return. LOL
It looks really good. I really enjoy seeing a job done well. The small details all add up to a product that is Superior .

Love the beveled PVC edges! I've read that can actually have a significant impact, depending on the bends and types of joints in the system.

Todd, I know that you have been busy with catching all of the salmon out there, but I am sure your ticket is full and it is time to get back to the build. Lets see some progression.

Todd, I know that you have been busy with catching all of the salmon out there, but I am sure your ticket is full and it is time to get back to the build. Lets see some progression.
I'll second that! :)

Give me a ring if you need any help moving stuff around.

Funny that you guys should mention this... the tiling process has begun (heated flooring cables & not so self leveling compound has been a major PITA) and should have the tank in its place for a Wet Test by end of this week. And for relly good news, DJ is stopping by this morning to drop off the Mig-welded aluminum heatsink/framework for my LED build. Once tiling mess is cleaned up a bit I can start the canopy build and LED assembly on heatsink. Sooo..... Floyd, what is your upcoming schedule like ??? I need your expertise in some fine LED wiring work.

Cheers, Todd

P.S. I did leave a few Salmon out there for everyone else but, not the two acrobatic Silvers I hooked on the Skykomish yesterday.

As I expected everything is looking awesome. :D Seems you'll have yours wet before I. :lol:

Cheers,
Alex

My schedule is pretty I get back in a few days and will be back for a while. Let me know when is a good time for you. Maybe I can come down and you can help me with my LED rack. I was just going to do a bolt together but welded would be so much better.

Todd,
When I opened this thread today I started chocking from all the dust and cob webs that shot out from my screen.LOL
Good to hear you are getting your tile down. Once that is complete you can get down to real bius.

Yah yah yah... cough cough Well it is definitely starting to move forward again, heating cables are in place and tested, two layers of self-leveling to cover cables and just put down the first layer of crack-suppression membrane. Second/final coat tomorrow morning then start laying out chalk lines for tiling... whew!

Cheers, Todd

OK, how time flies... so a lil update to plumbing as getting very near to the Wet Test. Drilled holes in back of stand and top of sumpfor future ATO, alot easier now than later. Then made a nice magnetic probe holder for my Apex's temp, PH, ORP and an extra space for future conductivity probe.
DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0055.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

finished product
DSCF0080.jpg

Have been holding off on glueing a shelf or something to back of tank to support the SeaSwirl but came up with a new idea while making the above probe holder. A stand-alone bracket should work well fingers crossed
DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0078.jpg

To be continued...

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Is the tank wet yet? The position of the bulkhead for the return pump has me worried as you will have issues with prime if the level of the sump drops or if the check valve drains down with the power off. The ball valve can go inside the sump and you can use a true union on a 90* to connect the pump.

PS. On a side note, you will have to cut the spa flex to remove the bulkhead. If you flip it around and us a friction fit on the inside you have some more flexibility.

PPS. I want to install a basin/sump pump for my tanks so I can just dump RO waste into the freshwater tank or add premix saltwater and just have the water go away. The current hole would be just about right.

Looking awesome as usually Todd. Really like how everything is turning out on your build.

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks Guys, slow and steady as she goes I guess but eventually will be my best Reeftank yet.... I hope.

Paul, I've ran my return pumps this way for about twelve years without any issues and since the inlets are only a couple inches off bottom if they run dry the loss of prime won't be my bigest concern.

Dave, one for me one for Eric & Becca and one for ??? or maybe a prize for a RF Contest I/we have in the works....
hmmm...

Cheers, Todd

P.S. Eric, I need to get some more 5/8 x 3/8 neo mags to complete yours

OK, notice anything different....
DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0084.jpg

Yes! finally got it wet... Wet Test went OK just three small leaks, fixed two last night and have one last seeping union to fix today. The old or original plumbing was tight but picked up a Pan World pump from Dang to upgrade flow a bit which in turn had to build another manifold to accomodate change in outlet design (straight up 90* as apposed to like 93.362* on an Iwaki ???)
DSCF0087.jpg

Sump/fuge over full and staying together
DSCF0088.jpg

Fine tuning the Herbie's
DSCF0090.jpg

Water is heating up and if no more leaks will add in salt tomorrow. Then onto breaking down aquascape in the 75g to get to base rock, set up a 15 & 20g to temporarily hold corals in.

Cheers, Todd

Oops forgot to add this pic and to rib Alex for getting my project wet before his :boink:
DSCF0085.jpg

Cheers, Todd

Back