Top Off Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I'm still working on my 60 gal tank and I was wondering that it would be a good idea to add a top off tank since my sump is not really big (22 gal.)

The problem is that I don't have a lot of space in my stand for this so it would have to be very small (between 10 - 12 gal). Measurements would be (11" x 7" x 32").

What do you guys think? also any ideas for the design would be appreciate it.

Wife is off with the camera. It'is a store bought float switch controlling a little mag pump inside an 8 gallon dog food bin. When the water in the sump falls below the set line, the mag pumps water from the tank into the sump. Has an anti-siphon T to prevent back draining. Blazer could tell you where je bought the parts or a better system.

I'm still working on my 60 gal tank and I was wondering that it would be a good idea to add a top off tank since my sump is not really big (22 gal.)

The problem is that I don't have a lot of space in my stand for this so it would have to be very small (between 10 - 12 gal). Measurements would be (11" x 7" x 32").

What do you guys think? also any ideas for the design would be appreciate it.

There are lots of ways to get this done. Do you want to fill this tank manually every few days? Do you have rodi?

Don

There are lots of ways to get this done. Do you want to fill this tank manually every few days? Do you have rodi?

Don

I do have a rodi but I have it in my kitchen, far away from the aquarium so yes I would need to fill it every few days.

I do have a rodi but I have it in my kitchen, far away from the aquarium so yes I would need to fill it every few days.

Then I guess the question would be do you want to diy a low voltage set up or just buy one and get it overwith.

Don

Then I guess the question would be do you want to diy a low voltage set up or just buy one and get it overwith.

Don

I don't think I can get something already made for the space I have but I would like to check the options available. However I think I will need a "semi-diy" since I would have the tank custom made.

I don't think I can get something already made for the space I have but I would like to check the options available. However I think I will need a "semi-diy" since I would have the tank custom made.

What I'm talking about is the part that gets the water from the top-off tank to the sump (electronics).

Don

Well after adding a length of wire ( thank-you Don) to the ATO that I bought and setting it and then resetting it, I believe that it will work.

That tunze you speak of is a $175. They make quality products, I can't argue that, but is worth the $95 more than the one I bought? The JBJ ATO.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=_A27

Do you have to add a pump to this unit? if so which is would you recommend?

Also do you think a 10 - 12 gal top off tank would be enough for my 60 gal tank or I'm better off just adding water everytime the water level goes down?

Last edited:

Also do you think a 10 - 12 gal top off tank would be enough for my 60 gal tank or I'm better off just adding water everytime the water level goes down?

I'm almost positive the tunze comes with a pump. I loose 5g min. a day so the ato is a must. You may not loose that much, but you probably dont want to be chained to the tank.

Don

I was putting 1-2 gallons a day manually in my 55 with a 29gallon sump, it was a serious pain in the butt. Go ahead with the ATO.

I would reccomend you save your momey and when you do it, get the best quality one you can afford.
I am near broke after setting up my new tank, so I settled for the ATO, which I set up about 14' away from my tank in my garage. I am using a maxi-jet pump and a 20 gallon garbage can. Seems to work just fine after several tests.

Back