Top Off Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i have the dual float setup with the small pump from autotopoff.com it is the greatest gizmo i have on my moneypit. i think it was right around 70$ shipped

Expensive for a float switch unit.

Marine Depot has it for $89.

I don't really want to spend $175 on this right now since I still have to buy some other important parts of equipment to get my tank going.

Last edited:
Marine Depot has it for $89.

I don't really want to spend $175 on this right now since I still have to buy some other important parts of equipment to get my tank going.

I would say go with a cheap one for now until you can get an optical one. If you are going to spend a hundred bucks on an ato then I think you would be better off spending $200 a little down the road on a good one. JMO

I think if you want to go the less expensive route. I'd go with the one from ato.com and get the low voltage upgrade. If you have the desire to add optical later you can easily do it with that unit.

Don

I think I'm just going to get the custom made tank and later on I will add the top off system to it.

I don't have to drill holes for bulkhead to install it, do I?

I think if you want to go the less expensive route. I'd go with the one from ato.com and get the low voltage upgrade. If you have the desire to add optical later you can easily do it with that unit.

Don

You mean autotopoff.com ?

absolutely worth it IMO
heres a few pics
the floats
DSCN7305.jpg

the switch
DSCN7306.jpg

reservoir with pump
DSCN7307.jpg

the reservoir, is the tub on the bottom left under the 29
DSCN7308.jpg

I already ordered a custom made tank for it (10 gallon). I should have it by next week. I still have to decide what system I'm going to get.

Thanks a lot your help guys!

Do I have to keep the water in the top off tank moving with a powerhead or air pump?

I started thing about this a little more.
If you wanted to add chemicals, maybe a small powerhead or air stone might be benefical.
I was thinking about adding kalkwasser to my topoff barrel. To keep it from settling and being added all at once to the tank, maybe a small powerhead would work.

I started thing about this a little more.
If you wanted to add chemicals, maybe a small powerhead or air stone might be benefical.
I was thinking about adding kalkwasser to my topoff barrel. To keep it from settling and being added all at once to the tank, maybe a small powerhead would work.

If you decide to add kalk you will need to stir it but not all the time. You want to give it a quick stir then let it settle before adding to the tank. Its not like ca or alk additives that fully disolves. You also need to keep a lid on it.

Don

What I was thinking is I could mix the kalkwasser up in my kalkwasser bucket that has a valve in it, a 1-1/2" off the bottom, after a 24 hour period drain it to the topoff container. Shouldn't this be stired all the time?
Why a lid all the time?

Back