Top on tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bripen

SeaSlug
There are a few fish that I have been considering adding to my system, but I keep reading the warning that these fish are jumpers i.e. flaher/fairy wrasses, dartfishes, etc. My question is multiple... Are these fish REALLY that prone to jumping? If I must cover my tank, how do I resolve heat build-up from the lighting above? If I use eggcrate instead of glass, how do you feed--easily? And lastly--why don't I ever see covered tanks at the LFS's?

If you need to cover your tank, you can use a piece of acrylic or the eggcrate which you would have to remove to feed. As to heat, what kind of lights are you running. How prone depends on a few things IMO. The one largest would be the tank mates. Usually a fish will only jump if it is uncomfortable or threatened. And i say usually because one particular fish may jump for no reason. With the LFS's, they may not have tops on there tanks but ask them how many fish they loose to "jumpers" and you might be surprised that they dont have tops to there tanks.

If you need to cover your tank, you can use a piece of acrylic or the eggcrate which you would have to remove to feed. As to heat, what kind of lights are you running. How prone depends on a few things IMO. The one largest would be the tank mates. Usually a fish will only jump if it is uncomfortable or threatened. And i say usually because one particular fish may jump for no reason. With the LFS's, they may not have tops on there tanks but ask them how many fish they loose to "jumpers" and you might be surprised that they dont have tops to there tanks.
75 gal with 2x150w10k MH and 2x130wPC Actinics
Fish include-1 Scribbled Rabbitfish @ 5", 1 Orchid Dottyback @ 2", and 1 Tomato Clown @ 3"--with her Anemone, of course--lol, can't forget that, she said.
My drawback is that I just don't picture myself dealing with the hassle of fighting something each feeding time...unless I can hinge the eggcrate with tie wraps, maybe? Does eggcrate cut down on light penetration?
Thanks!:)

I cut egg crate strips but let the center stay open, it would cover the edges about two inches.

The fairy wrasse will jump & through the smallest space, so even then you have a chance of it jumping out, usually at night they get spooked.

Nice tank Sherm! I wonder just how much light might it block? I might of missed that being mentioned, I would assume a light meter would be the only way to tell.

You're probably correct, if you wanted real hard numbers. However, you can even see, just visually, what a huge difference there was just in the animations.

bripen, You find just about most lfs with their tanks not covered and they will if a very expensive fish, will cover that tank. The same for reef tanks, I will have the over flow boxes covered as well as the back of one of the tanks against jumpers such as the blue spotted jaw fish for one and as well I'm still in plan to own two sets of dwarf morays.

The other thing if you are up to other ideas to make it easy on yourself, you can have yourself a canopy on your tank and with this, the only protection you would need is a covering across the back of the tank.

I understand that you have heating problems and this works well when having that type of problem for then you can leave open the canopy with cooling fans blowing across the surfaces of your tanks water and when you are having such heating problems, best that you not have the lights on except for a few hours only to feed your fish.

If you can afford it, you might want to think about a chiller?

I see another had asked you if your a canopy, do use it and you will see then that with the canopy and a narrow strip of glass cover at the back of the tank that you have less over heating problems. This will not mean that your water will never heat up, for it will, only you be helping it far better in this way if your no plans for any chiller. And remember in the hot months not too have the lights on for so many hours.

Buddy

Back