total noob to SW

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kickside

Hey guys like the title say's total noob...
with a ton of questions so I wanted to introduce myself lol. I recently purchase a tank from a buddy I met on a different forum, it was kinda of an impulse buy but I've been thinking of setting up a tank for a for a couple of months now.

This is what I have right now
hoping to transfer everything to a 55G tank in the next couple of months
I just want to get the hang on things first

I dont know if this is right section
but can anyone tell the names of some this corals
my camera is kinda crappy
Picture001.jpg

live stock
2-saddle back clowns
2-blu damsels
1-blenny scooter
1- blue tang-leaving the tank this friday
1-mandarin goby

Back row from left..green goniapora,zoanthids,kenya tree,green button polyps(palys),another kind of leather may be kenya tree,on bottom
From left,feather duster,anthelia or xenia,toadstool leather,..at least I think so..nice corals for a good start..welcome to the hobby..

Welcome to RF!

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

Collectively there are hundreds of years worth of "reefing" experience.

There is also a ton of posts, to search them just use the search button on the top of the page. It will display a list of posts pertaining to the topic you were wondering about :)

WABlonde,

Tangs require a lot of swimming room. Typically you want at least 5-6' of swimming room for them. Blue tangs get over 12" long!

Yes, Yes. You are very right. I wasn't thinking about the size of his tank. Not sure if it's different for the blues but I know the browns say minimum 75 gal. Sorry - Tang is on my xmas list and I'm a bit jumpy. LOL.

Keep us updated on your progress! And welcome!

Thanks guys
yup the blue tang left today...His in a way bigger now

Hey glad to see you made it here.
pretty much what Nata said on the corals. I believe the person you got this from said the lavender waivy stuff on the bottom was blue xenia, but looking at it, it does look like anthelia. also this piece, which is hard to see in your pic, but I asked about this one for the other person, it is an Isaurus tuberculatus.

IMG00218-20101011-1923.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, Yes. You are very right. I wasn't thinking about the size of his tank. Not sure if it's different for the blues but I know the browns say minimum 75 gal. Sorry - Tang is on my xmas list and I'm a bit jumpy. LOL.

Keep us updated on your progress! And welcome!

Don't listen to the tiny tanks that are listed on the internet. Yes a 75 can house a silver dollar sized tang and it will be happy. It will get more and more unhappy as the tang grows. Most Tangs get 8+ inches long. Just keep in mind a baby will live fine in a smaller tank, but adults need more room to cruise around.

Hey glad to see you made it here.
pretty much what Nata said on the corals. I believe the person you got this from said the lavender waivy stuff on the bottom was blue xenia, but looking at it, it does look like anthelia. also this piece, which is hard to see in your pic, but I asked about this one for the other person, it is an Isaurus tuberculatus.

thanks I'm slowly learning the names of the corals I have lol

the mandarin Goby is gone too
it was pick up this morning

Kickside, welcome to RF, Tons of questions eh! keep them coming... Im from Kent (Kentridge Area) also and would welcome you to come over and maybe we can chat and maybe answer some of your questions too.

Kickside, welcome to RF, Tons of questions eh! keep them coming... Im from Kent (Kentridge Area) also and would welcome you to come over and maybe we can chat and maybe answer some of your questions too.

Oh I wouldn't mind taking you up on your offer
I'm mostly free after six thats the time I usually get off work
whenever you get some free time let know....I saw that picture of your and it looks amazing

Kickside,

Tell us more about your tank. Lights and lighting schedule, size of tank, do you put something to it, ie: chemicals, water change? How old is the tank etc, etc...

Kickside,

Tell us more about your tank. Lights and lighting schedule, size of tank, do you put something to it, ie: chemicals, water change? How old is the tank etc, etc...

Ok I've had the tank for a week now, 30G tank
with a HOB 5 gallon refugium and protein skimmer 2 koralia nanos
Odyssea 96W light fixture with daylight/actinic and moon LED's

the lighting schedule has been a little irregular this past week cause I've been kinda busy after work, I need to get a timer. I did get some chemicals when I bought the tank but I haven't touch them yet

livestock
2-saddle back clowns-I want to get a different pair
2-blue damsels-I want them out of the tank
1-blenny scooter
1- blue tang-left the tank on friday
1-mandarin goby-left the tank on sunday

good job on the tang and mandarin. i cant blame you on the damsels. Yes timer is very important, you can buy them cheap at Ikea. They have the 15 minute increments that can be used for powerheads too. Dont do chemicals yet, a good schedule of water change can go a long long way. RODI? if you dont have it, dont sweat it. Just go to albertsons or any store that sells 35 cents/gallon rodi... that helps. Also if you can invest on a good refractometer, i highly suggest it.

good job on the tang and mandarin. i cant blame you on the damsels. Yes timer is very important, you can buy them cheap at Ikea. They have the 15 minute increments that can be used for powerheads too. Dont do chemicals yet, a good schedule of water change can go a long long way. RODI? if you dont have it, dont sweat it. Just go to albertsons or any store that sells 35 cents/gallon rodi... that helps. Also if you can invest on a good refractometer, i highly suggest it.

Thanks I'll make a trip to Ikea this weekend and check out the timers.
I've done one water change since I got the tank, and I bought the water at midways pets already mix
but 35 cents/gallon for RODI water sounds like a better deal

pm me your kent location? who knows we might be neighbors.

I'm about five minutes away from Kent Station and the showare center

Yes, just buy several of those 5 gallon water jugs so you can do several per trip. I guess the closest to you is Fred Myers up the hill at James/240.

Back