Treehuggers (Jeff) 240

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trido

Fish Tank Freak
I'll start it for him.

Jeff has been talking about getting a larger tank since moving to Seattle from Santa Cruz Cali. He moved up here with one of the most amazing LPS tanks I've seen but has Started ot aquire a few more SPS since most of the Seattleites seem to be fuzzy stick fanatics. He has ran out of room and a new 240 has been ordered from Glass cages. It should be here in a couple weeks.
Its dimentions are 72" x 30" x 24" tall.
I started the custom stand and hood today. Here are a couple pics to get this thread rolling. We will finalize the design on Saturday and I hope to finish it over the weekend.
tankstand008.jpg

tankstand005.jpg

The stand so far, is made of about 10 2x4s and three sheets of 3/4" 11 ply birch plywood glued at every joint. Its real heavy and its not even done.. :eek: Of course, it has to hold over a ton of weight

Well, I guess since this is my tank build thread, I should tag along...what do you think?
Duane (trido) came by my place this past weekend to talk about building me a custom stand and to make sure the house could actually handle this beast of a tank (maybe I should have had him do this check before ordering the tank..haha). Like he said above it's going to be a 240g all glass (starphire front panel) mixed reef. I'll post more details when I'm feeling a bit better (stomach flu kind of takes the life out of you). I haven't seen the stand in person yet, but it looks great in the pictures and I'm sure it will look even better when I finally see it this weekend! Thanks again Duane. This is just one more reason Trido was member of the month a bit back, he's a wealth of information, always willing to lend a hand, and he's just over all a fun guy to shoot the s#@% with. Thanks again for everyone tagging along with the build.

i am tagging along to this project
Jeff,your dream is coming true in the near future,,:)
,you acan collector:):),,guy ,you have to see his acan size look like a balsto,,it's amazing.

So are you becoming the board's general contractor for tank installations? :) That stand looks real nice.

I am going to have to talk to you hear pretty soon. We are moving to a new house here in the next few months and we are going to do a 200-300 gallon in wall.

Alright time for a quick update. So after a bit of the run around from glass cages (now I know what everyone means by wonderful customer service), it looks like the tank will be arriving one week from today! I guess that means it's time to rent a truck, some glass suction cups and eat my wheaties. Oh yeah did I mention beg for help lifting this beast..haha. Although, it will be St. Patrick's Day so at least I know I will have plenty of guinness, corned beef/cabbage and Irish soda bread to go around...hint hint :) I also picked up the glass pieces for the sump baffles today. If anyone ever needs pieces of custom glass, Skyline Windows in Shoreline is great. I got 6 (12x17in) 3/16in glass pieces cut and sanded for $45. I'll be posting some pictures of the sump this week when I get around to actually putting it together. Lastly, I believe that tomorrow I will be going to Duane's house after work to pick up the finished stand and canopy. He's done an incredible job so far from what I've seen and I can't wait to see the finished product! I can't say enough good things about him, he's been a huge help already on this project. More updates to come this week...

can i see your curretn tank is there a thread some where? i have aussie acans to... wait all my corals aussie haha its not really funny they seem to ship all the good stuff to the states now??? your tank stand look good cant wait to see the finsihed product and the tank to boot
trido to bad ur not in WA australia cause i could sure use a few tank stands and canopys

hey jeff, do you know what time its gonna be at? I could probably be up by 5pm. If not carrying, I can at least help set up!

I'm not sure on the time. I guess it depends on when I can get a truck and pick it up. I'll know more later in the week if they ever send me the tracking info so I can make sure they weren't mistaken about the delivery date yet again...haha...

Here is the finished stand. We stole the luminarc cutout idea from a local reefers thread. I took it a little further and made the holes long so the lights can be adjusted acording to the aquascaping to give the SPS more light and the LPS some shade. We will either use acrylic or scrap plywood to fill the gaps.
jeffsstand5.jpg

jeffsstand4.jpg

jeffsstand6.jpg

jeffsstand001.jpg

jeffsstand1.jpg

White interiors for better light reflection. :)

I noticed a couple things, great idea cutting a door in the end of the stand. Really helps when you have a large sump to put under it.

Make sure you get good quality suction cups and get a bunch.
Is that sound board on the inside of the doors of the stand?
Looking good.

Also, when the truck shows up, you have to have everyone there to unload it?

Back