trying to pick a fish....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
Ok so i am trying to pick another fish to ad to our tank since it looks empty!

We have a Yellow Watchman goby and a Sleeper Banded Bullet.

I would like a fish that is bright but not yellow.

does not hide in the rock work like these two do!

And will stay small enough to live ina 29 gal tank at least for a couple months till we upgrade.

I like the royal gamma, royal dottyback, Purpleback, Purple Pseudochromis, blue yellow tail damsel, half blue damsel, green chromis, black and white false clown, black cap basslet, firefish. Am i missing any? Those are just some examples. lol

Any out of this list you would say absalutly n to or any you would highly recomend?

Main thing i am looking fr is a fish that does not hide. lol

here are out current two.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/as1720/corals104.jpg

Last edited:
How about a Flame Hawkfish or a Sixline Wrasse (or one of the other small reef safe wrasses)?

I was thinking a hawkfish but i have the small watchman and i think i read someware they can be aggressive and even eat small fish.

Are firefish open swimmers or are the rock dwellers?

Keep in mind that some of those Pseudochromis/Dottybacks can get very aggressive. They're also likely to eat any shrimp you add to the tank in the future.

Firefish are very open swimmers. Our's is out all the time. They are known to be jumpers though, especially when first introduced. Usually, they say, if it doesn't jump the first day, you're fine...lol. So I'd suggest covering the tank with eggcrate the first 24-48 hours.
Not very photogenic, but here's a pic
3203096442_0c62eeb2a7.jpg

How big do fire fish get. i didnt think they got that big. i have a cleaner and fire shrimp a fire fish woulndt get big enought to eat those would it?

Firefish are very open swimmers. Our's is out all the time.
3203096442_0c62eeb2a7.jpg

that wierd the oone my sister has in her tank never comes out at all just stay under a dead clamshell and only comes out for no more than a min. for feeding time

I just got a Royal Gramma and it's a beautiful fish. Eats well. Out all the time. I know they're common, but they're great. I'd stay away from Dottybacks as they can be jerks from what I've read. Hawkfish can eat small shrimps if you have any or plan to. Also, a Benggai Cardinal might be nice. Good luck!

Why are all thr pretty ones hiders!

Any other suggestions of fish that are pretty but dont hide?

My vote for the royal dottyback( pseudochromispaccagnellae). They can be aggressive but it is more in a way of protecting there home. I don’t think there in a habit of chasing tank mates around just to harass them. It will probably find a place it likes and kind of stick around that area but they are not usually shy and usually spend a lot of time zooming around in and out of the rockwork around there home. They have a ton of personality and the colors just pop out of the tank. With the other fish in your tank I would thing that there will not be a problem.

what about a purple pseuodochromis, very colorful, possibly aggresive to fish of its body shape?

oh found that if u have more than one firerfish they tend to be less inclined to hide. For example my 100 gallon had 15 firer gobies looked pretty spectacular always swam in the open and herded together :D

Last edited:
Your tank is currently well stocked. Add nothing to it in the way of nitrogen waste producing marine life.

Wait until you actually upgrade to get any new fish, then the new fish won't have to acclimate to yet another captive environment. It's good to plan! :)

Back