trying to use a plasma tv for a macbook monitor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
Well I got the plasma tv for x-mass and I called the apple store and asked what I needed to use the tv for a monitor for my MacBook and they sent me a HDMI/DVI cable and a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter.
Now all I need is some instructions on what to do to make it happen.
Can anyone give me detailed help?
Like what to do with the MacBook, setting?
What to do to the tv?

I plugged everything in, using the cables the sales person at the apple store sent me. HDMI to DVI cable and a mini displayport to dvi adapter.
I changed the tv's input to the the HDMI i4, opened the display properties and clicked on the button " Detect Displays".
And nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

You might need to change a setting on the macbook to have it use an alternate display.

I clicked on the button " Detect Displays" and nothing came up. So it wasn't even seeing the tv.
I think I need a different adapter.

Finally got it figured out.
58" plasma for a monitor is pretty cool, now to figure out how to do this in a Picture in Picture mode.

I'm going bring this one back up and hope someone has a answer for me.
I've been able to use the plasma tv and the macbook together for a while now.
But recently, my blu-ray player had to be sent back to samsung for repairs.
I want to use the macbook to play dvds and it works, but the sound is only on the macbook.
Any way to get sound to the tv speakers when the dvd is playing on the macbook?

I'm going bring this one back up and hope someone has a answer for me.
I've been able to use the plasma tv and the macbook together for a while now.
But recently, my blu-ray player had to be sent back to samsung for repairs.
I want to use the macbook to play dvds and it works, but the sound is only on the macbook.
Any way to get sound to the tv speakers when the dvd is playing on the macbook?

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search..."o"+docid="7A275646EE1E3D751DDB"]&wf=Commerce

:)

Ok, I figured that the HDMI cable would carry both video and audio signals from the macbook to the tv.
Since the macbook doesn't have the standard RCA audio jack input. What do I use?

Ok, I figured that the HDMI cable would carry both video and audio signals from the macbook to the tv.
Since the macbook doesn't have the standard RCA audio jack input. What do I use?

You should have a "speakers/headphone" jack (mini rca) that this cable will work with.

To get audio from HDMI you can not use any adapters. Those adapters don't support audio, so it's lost in translation.

I see, so the link you gave me is a y rca cable. On the mac side is the single and the tv side is the double.
I would think they would have something like that at Radio Shack or Office Depot.

Found this cable in one of my pc boxes and tried it,but it didn't work.

cable1n.jpg

Bought some audio cables from RS and they didn't work for me.

You must be doing it rong! :D

Make sure that your headphone jack isn't muted. See if there is a place in your tv menu for selecting your audio output.

5 of our TVs are connected to computers. Are you using the TV speakers or an amp w/surround?

I'm using the tv speakers because the blu-ray home theater player has been sent in for repair. This will be the last samsung product I buy.

I don't know how to check to see if the headphone jack is muted.

It's a mac, I'm a pc.

I'm using the tv speakers because the blu-ray home theater player has been sent in for repair. This will be the last samsung product I buy.

I don't know how to check to see if the headphone jack is muted.

It's a mac, I'm a pc.

You could always plug in some headphones and see if you are getting sound out. ;)

Damn Macs are supposed to be user friendly...lulz!

Give me the model number of your TV so I can look at it. Might be a few before I get back to you. Got to play "avoid the tree" on the way home.

Back