Tunze 6105's on a timer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I have to send my 7095 controller in for repairs and was wondering if anyone knew if it would be ok to use a couple on/off timers for my Tunze 6105's?
I found a couple cheap ones that have 48 settings.
I could run each pump on for a 1/2 hour and then off for a 1/2 hour around the clock.
Anyone see a problem?

I don't see a problem doing that with any pump. It would only become a concern IMO if it was turning off and on within seconds, but 30 mins in between is nothing :)

One of the features of the 7095 controller is you can vary the time between pulses.
The first set of times is 1 to 60 seconds. So I guess that means you could be setting the controller up so that it changes the speed of the pump after a 1 second pulse.

I was wondering if the Tunze controller and Tunze controlable pumps have somesort of a soft start feature, that wouldn't be there with a plain old timer.

Not sure but 30 mins on then off for anything I think is fine. Every few seconds is a different story but the fact that the tunze you have was designed to be on a controller that varies the flow up to every second or so means the pump can take it IMO :)

Yea, I see what you mean, but I think it would be more of a concern if the pumps were going to be turned off and on more frequently than you want to do it. 30 mins in between is alot of time for anything IMO. :)

tunze pump meant to run at all the time either full blow or just whisling,,stop and goes will short the live of the pump,,you can set to run bt 20-60% adjust as you needed?

why not just make this if its cheaper and you can dial them in. i had my 6100s on this and its awesome to awesome i had to sell them and buy a 6055.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1411393

I'm not really smart enough to get into electronic diy.:(
give me a 2x4 and I can make something:lol:

I found a couple cheap timers for $8 for both.
I just wanted to find something cheap and easy untill the controller gets back in a couple weeks.
I could just run the 6105's at about 60% to 75% but I'd want some variation.
1/2 hour cycles were about the only choise I had while trying to limit a temporay problem.
Thanks for the link.

I can remember the days of under gravel filters.
They sure were peaceful:D

tunze pump meant to run at all the time either full blow or just whisling,,stop and goes will short the live of the pump,,you can set to run bt 20-60% adjust as you needed?

I mentioned my plans while talking to Rodger (Tunze) in a thread on RC and he didn't say " Don't do it", but then he didn't say "go ahead" either.

Something else I just realized, is the Tunze 6105's on the Tunze 7095 controller never really stop. They run from the minimum speed ( 792gph) to the max speed (3434 gph).
Both speeds are adjustable, but the fact is, the pumps never really shut off.
So I think Dang, you are right. I may risk damage to the pumps if they are run, turning on and off many times a day.

Something else I just realized, is the Tunze 6105's on the Tunze 7095 controller never really stop. They run from the minimum speed ( 792gph) to the max speed (3434 gph).
Both speeds are adjustable, but the fact is, the pumps never really shut off.
So I think Dang, you are right. I may risk damage to the pumps if they are run, turning on and off many times a day.

yes,sir,,you got it ,,i did distroy 2 nano tunze by using redsea wave maker when i found out ,,it start to making the noise already too late..

Last edited:
That's so strange that a 30 minute interval could destroy something. I can see something more frequent, but 30 mins seems like a long time. Guess the tunze was designed to run 24/7... :)

That's so strange that a 30 minute interval could destroy something. I can see something more frequent, but 30 mins seems like a long time. Guess the tunze was designed to run 24/7... :)

They really never shut off, so yeah 24/7.
Once in a while it's ok for feed mode and water changes, but not like I planned, 48 cycles per day.

couples times is temporary fine, but many cycles will destroy them.

I was finally able to talk to Rodger for a bit last week and he did say to me that using the Tunze on a timer like I had, switching on and off every 1/2 hour would not hurt this pump.
Then he said not to worry, my controller was fixed and on it's way back.
Which it is.:)

Back