Ty's 180g Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdgates10

Designer Reef
Here is my Showcase thread that will have all my pictures of my tank. My tank is currently fishless, but I have some shots of my corals. Shots were taken with my Canon Rebel XTi with a polarizer and UV filter on the stock 18 -55mm lens. This is the link to my thread that tells all about my Equipment. Build Thread

FTS
FTS.jpg

Pink Branching Hammer
Branching_Hammer.jpg

Green Bridge Hammer
Bridge_Hammer.jpg

Green Candy Cane
Green_CandyCane.jpg

Pink Candy Cane
Pink_CandyCane.jpg

Pocillopora
Pocillopora.jpg

Rose Anemone
Rose.jpg

Tan and Green Torches
Torches.jpg

Last edited:
nice shots, i find that when i use a polarizer the shots are always real dark. what did you do to fix that

Thanks :) I shoot with my ISO between 400 and 800 and usually will bracket with corals and fts. When shooting fish, I usually just shoot with a higher aperture. Hope that helps.

Thanks Tike and Jake! I can't wait to see the progress that the corals are going to make over years to come!

I just got some corals from returnofsid. Thanks a ton and nice to meet you! Here are some shots! I really need a macro!

Acropora Tenuis
Acro.jpg

Purple Rimmed M. Capricornus
Purple_Cap.jpg

Purple M. digitata
Purple_Digit.jpg

Wow Tyler, those are great shots considering they're taken with the stock lens!! I have the Rebel Xt and for most of my tank shots, use the Tamron 70-300 Macro. Oh and I'm not 100% sure that it's an A. tenuis but pretty sure. Glad they're doing well. It was great meeting you and your wife!!

Those are gorgeous Tyler! Great job!

If you want to test drive a macro lens with your camera, just bring it one of these times and it can help you decide whether or not you want to upgrade.

Be warned, I should never have gone and played with the one at Huppins. It was an all out quest to get that lens from that day, hehe.

Barbie

Update

It's been a couple of months since i've updated my thread. I will have to take some shots of the tank but here is a list of fish and corals in the tank. All fish except for the Vlamingi were in a QT with hypo-salinity for 10 weeks due to an ich outbreak. The DT stayed fishless for that whole time hopefully eliminating the parasite. I just got the Vlamingi on Friday October 31, 2008 and he's been doing great! I'm starting to lower the salinity now that he's eating great and hopefully in 6-8 weeks he'll be in the DT!

Fish
Pair of True Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)
Lawnmower Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)
Pinkbar Goby paired with Pistol Shrimp (Cryptocentrus aurora)
Blue/Green Reef Chromis (Chromis viridis)
Vlamingi Tang in QT (Naso Vlamingi)

LPS
Frogspawn - Euphyllia paradivisa
Pink Candy Cane - Caulastrea furcata
Green Candy Cane - Caulastrea furcata
Green Anchor Hammer - Euphyllia ancora
Pink Branching Hammer - Euphyllia paranchora
Green Torch - Euphyllia glabrescens
Pink Torch - Euphyllia glabrescens
Pink Bubble - Plerogyra sinuosa
Green Short Tentacle Plate - Fungia repanda

SPS
Green Slimmer - Acropora yongei
Purple M. Digitata - Montipora digitata
Orange M. Capricornus - Montipora capricornis
Purple Rim M. Capricornus - Montipora capricornis
Green Birdsnest - Seriatopora guttatus

Softies
Yellow Fiji Leather - Sarcophyton elegans
Toadstool Leather - Sarcophyton sp.

Mushrooms/ Ricordea
Green Mushrooms - Actinodiscus sp.
Purple Mushrooms - Actinodiscus sp.
Orage/ Purple Center Ricordeas - Ricordea florida
Blue/Geeen Center Ricordea - Ricordea florida

Updated FTS 2.17

Thought I would post some FTS and side shots. Not much has changed on the tank with corals except they're getting HUGE. The 180 is starting to feel small!

FTS 2.17
FTS_2_17.jpg

Right Side Shot
RS.jpg

Left Side Shot
LS.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Michael! Yeah it has been a while! I'm finishing up undergrad school and trying to get ready for grad school so it's been hectic for me. I'll be around now though!

Well, last week I got some new Carberry Anthias. I've had four in my tank, but I got 5 more that are absolutely stunning! All 9 of them stay in tight formation in the tank and are eating frozen mysis and freeze dried mysis about 4-5 times a day! In the week that I've had them, I swear they've gotten bigger. I only took a few shots, but I thought I would share!

Here are 4 of the new ones.
Anthias.jpg

Here is a group shot during lunch time!
AnthiasGroup.jpg

Here is one that I decided to make my new avitar!
Top2.jpg

Back