unknown acro best guess please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Snappy

clever title goes here
I bought a wild piece a year or so ago that went RTN after several months and I was only able to save a few 1/4 " sized nubs from it which I glued on a rock. They have since grown into their own little colony. I am wondering if anybody knows what kind of acro this is. I know it's not always easy for an accurate id but I will settle for a best guess from the many of you out there with much more expertize than myself.
Thanks,
unknown_acro_macro_CR.jpg

I am not even going there on that one. I will say it's absolutely gorgeous and I'm glad it decided to live for you Greg. Thats an awesome piece.

I am not even going there on that one. I will say it's absolutely gorgeous and I'm glad it decided to live for you Greg. Thats an awesome piece.
Thanks Sue. I have looked through all the books I have (Boreman, Sprung, Veron, etc.) and it doesn't seem to match anything in them. Perhaps I have yet another freak.;)

Last edited:
I wish Kevin would check this pic out. I'm sure he'll know what it is. I'll say it again to, oh for a freak like that in my tank. The colors alone are enough to mesmerize you{me}. haha...

I wish Kevin would check this pic out. I'm sure he'll know what it is. I'll say it again to, oh for a freak like that in my tank. The colors alone are enough to mesmerize you{me}. haha...

We'll call it the mesmerizing snappy. Frags starting at $250:)

If you've got Veron's you should be able to....
growth form - appears to be corymbose (though may be arborescent
corallites - radials look to be one size, axial looks exsert, radials near axial look to be a rosette pattern.

You should be able to narrow it down looking throught Verons ( I don't have mine in front of me) using these criteria.

Hi Greg,
It reminds me very much of Acropora rosaria but it is just a guess of course :)
A wonderful coral be sure to give it plenty of flow as it tends to grow quite bushy under high light.

Regards,
Kevin

Thanks for the responses. I will look again in my Veron book and see if I can match it. Maybe Rosaria is right, it is kind of rosey looking.;)
I think you had guessed this other one here as a rosaria for me before but they are quite different. Maybe they are related somehow. What do you think?
Feb_3_06_054mystery.jpg

Last edited:
Acropora secale is another guess.

Maybe they are related somehow.
They are both Acropora :D
Both A. rosaria and A. secale have a wide distribution in almost the same areas and are common.

Either one could be one or the other. Regardless of the exact species the care would be the same. High light and flow as they both come from shallow reef environments.

Regards,
Kevin

Hi Greg,
It reminds me very much of Acropora rosaria but it is just a guess of course :)
A wonderful coral be sure to give it plenty of flow as it tends to grow quite bushy under high light.

Regards,
Kevin

I had some local reefers over today and we did some trading. I got a frag that seems very close to the coral in your first pic Greg. His was id'd as A. rosaria. I see Kevin already had this as his guess. Mine is not the color of yours it's more in the blue with a lighter base body color but it's definitely the same coral.

Back