Upcoming Congressional decision could put a stop to our hobby

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

that would just suck bad i would have nothing left to do

maybe will all could start an secret underground fish culb darn it

this is scary, but is there any possibility it would pass? If so, I would be devastated.

and not only me but retailers, wholesale/distributors, manufacturers, hobbyist groups and other trade organizations

Oh it'll put A LOT of people out of business. Anyone that's associated in any way with pet collection, pet sales, pet product sales and manufacturing....etc. Even some Vets would feel this. IMO, it's highly unlikely that it'd pass, but I guess that will depend on how hard it's lobbied for by the animal rights actvists AND if Congress takes their time to read it and totally understand the ramifications. If this law were to pass, it'd then be very difficult to get any animals added to the "approved" list.

I agree with Sid, it's very unlikely that this bill will pass, but, in the event that it does it will cripple every aspect of the pet industry, retailers, wholesalers, manufacturers. There will be such a low demand for pet products that many options will disappear and only the cheap poor quality items will remain for the list of approved pets.

As for us aquarists, cold water systems would start to pop up, but in very limited numbers, probably not enough to even warrant the continuance of the PSAS.

Here's some further information I came across.

ON April 23rd 2009 The Natural Resources Committee of the U.S. Congress will hold a hearing on H.R. 669, a resolution that will in effect ban importation, interstate transport and the private ownership of most birds, mammals, reptiles, and fish as pets. Should HR669 be adopted as written only the following nonnative animals would be allowed:

any cat (Felis catus)

cattle or oxen (Bos taurus)

chicken (Gallus gallus domesticus)

dog (Canis lupus familiaris)

donkey or ass (Equus asinus)

domesticated members of the family Anatidae (geese)

duck (domesticated Anas spp.)

goat (Capra aegagrus hircus)

goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus)

horse (Equus caballus)

llama (Lama glama)

mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus)

pig or hog (Sus scrofa domestica)

domesticated varieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus)

sheep (Ovis aries)

The Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act (H.R. 669), introduced by Del. Madeleine Bordallo (D-Guam) Chair of the Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife of the House Natural Resources Committee would totally revamp how nonnative species are regulated under the Lacey Act.

Currently, the Fish and Wildlife Service is required to demonstrate that a species is injurious [harmful] to health and welfare of humans, the interests of agriculture, horticulture or forestry, and the welfare and survival of wildlife resources of the U.S.

HR 669 substantially complicates that process by compelling the Service to produce two lists after conducting a risk assessment for each nonnative wildlife species to determine if it is likely to “cause economic or environmental harm or harm to other animal species’ health or human health.” In order to be placed on the “Approved List” it must be established that the species has not, or is not likely, to cause “harm” anywhere in the US. Species that are considered potentially harmful would be placed on an “Unapproved List.” Furthermore, HR 669 would essentially ban all species that do not appear on the Approved List, regardless of whether or not they have ever been petitioned for listing or are sufficiently well studied to enable a listing determination.

Species not appearing on the “Approved List” could not be imported into the United States; therefore, all unapproved nonnative species could not be moved interstate. In addition, trade in all such unlisted species would come to a halt – possession would be limited and all breeding would cease. Unless those species are included on the approved list import, export, transport, and breeding would be prohibited. Exceptions are limited and would not be available to pet owners across the nation.

To view full HR669 PetAlert click on one of the following links “Breaking News” or “HR669 Forum”. Both will take you to pages on the PIJAC website.

http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_HR_669.pdf

PIJAC

1220 19th Street, NW, Ste 400

Washington, DC 20036

(202) 452-1525 - tel

(202) 293-4377 - fax

Holy cow, thats some crazy stuff. I can't imagine that it would make it through congress... has everyone written their congressman? as my grandma would say. lol

The funny thing is how many people, on another reef forum, think this ban is a good idea. All they're talking about is birds and reptiles. They go on to say that if it passes, we can get everything from the Caribbean. They don't seem to understand the ramifications of the possible ban OR the ramifications their ideas about the Caribbean would have. I've seen some threads on other forums that are 4 pages long and I'd say 30% are for the ban. Some also think it'll force more research into breeding of saltwater fish. They aren't understanding that, even breeding clownfish, would become illegal.

Given the government's (not singling out Obama.....most cabinets in recent past) migration toward controlling everything the american citizen buys, eats, drinks, smokes, drives, watches, etc. etc. I wouldn't doubt a watered down version of this does pass. Not as a stand alone bill, but as a tag along to another bill.

Very strange days we are living in. I sure hope the American population starts to open their eyes and take back this great nation. We are losing our rights and freedoms.

Reedman, you're absolutely right. All kinds of things get pushed through congress by being tied to another bill, or buried in another bill, that's totally unrelated. For instance, they could write up a bill about tax cuts, with thousands of lines in it. Buried in the middle of it, could be a line outlawing mowing your lawn on Thursdays. Some states have "line item veto power," others don't. So, either that particular line is buried so well that it's passed right over, or the tax cut, which is what the entire bill is about, is voted for and along with it, we have people being arrested for mowing their lawns on Thursdays...lol. Here in Washington, similar bills have already been passed, hidden away in larger bills. I'm not saying that we should be keeping Alligators, but it's now illegal in this state. No one even heard about the bill that made that happen. It was hidden amongst other items and passed right along with them.

hidden,or nobody cared? if there was nobody there to cause a ruckus who would of even noticed?.just my thoughts.and hell lets face it a ban like this might be bad for us and businesses but has to be good for the animals being conserved.double edged blade if you ask me.

thast some BS if i ever heard any. crazy how shisty the government is these days. just like reedman says, theyre trying to take over everything. i give it 2 years and the only grocery store in the us will me winco, the only fast food will me mcdonalds, guns will be outlawed, and we will be a week nation.

Keith, while released "pets" may have a slight beneficial impact on native species, keep in mind that most non-native species that have been introduced into areas, causing problems for native species, have been introduced by governmental agencies. Fishes introduced into southern states for mosquito control wiped out native Killi-Fish populations. The Peacock Bass, introduced into some southern states as a sports fish, wiped out native fish populations. Non-native birds introduced into areas to combat insect damage to forests, wiped out native bird populations. This has all been "governmental intervention." Very few problems have arose from pet keepers releasing their "pets" into the wild. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's a very small part of the problem. This proposed ban won't stop governmental agencies from their meddling.

no no what i meant is if say the ban went into effect,native animals wouldnt be getting shipped out anymore(theyd stay in their natural habitat),and that we as the hobbyists and business owners would feel the hurt more.

but yes i see what youre saying about what the government does after the fact.

I didnt really get a chance to read the posts, but i do have this to say i have been involved with a lot of different types of animals, including rodents as pets, reptiles, exotic birds, now fish and at one time or another they were "going" to be banned or it was in the works. But 10 years later they are still here, one reason why they are is because of the people who love he hobby and did something about the "ban".

Keep your heads up and fight for what you love!

p.s i think they are trying to outlaw guns or just the amo or something like that. lol

Back