Upgrading lights again! Need suggestions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kingumar

I currently have a 6x54w ati sunpower over my 120gal which will be sps dominated. I was thinking about upgrading to an 8 bulb powermodule which i was getting a decent deal on.

Now, would i be better off keeping sps with the 8 bulb powermodule or IceCap Reef Illuminations 250W Metal Halide, T5 & LED Aquarium
IceCap Reef Illuminations 250W Metal Halide, T5 & LED Aquarium Lght Fixture - Aquarium Supplies, Discount Fish Tanks & Fish Tank Supplies for Complete Saltwater & Freshwater Aquarium, Protein Skimmers, Saltwater Reef Aquarium - AQUASYTHE.com

I really like t5's but i dont want any problems with keeping sps.

With an 8 bulb T5 fixture and sps higher in the tank you shouldn't have any problems at all especially with ATI bulbs.

thanks for the comment. so, would the powermodule would be a better light option than the MH i listed period?

If you have any DIY skills you should really look into building your own LED unit. Phenominal light output for the wattage and would eliminate the $200+- in yearly lamp replacement for a 8-lamp fixture. You can make rather simple with 2-3 circuits on mechanical/digital timers or go all out with adding or using existing features on Neptune/Digital Aquatics Controllers or even build your own Arduino style controller. There are several LED build threads here on RF to research if interested.

Cheers, Todd

I'm not familiar enough with the MH fixture you listed although it does look nice. The ATI fixtures are very nice though. Going MH will be hotter though and will increase evaporation but it will put a lot of light into the system. I run both MH systems and T5 systems and like them both.

Several of the local reefers here made the switch to leds and have already or are in the process to switching back to MH.
They say they were much happier with the overall results with the MHs.
I have leds on 2 nanos and have mixed results with SPS. I have a couple change colors. Some grow like crazy (red planet). Some grow really slow (birds nest).

I have had best results with leds with palys (utter chaos grows like crazy) and chalices. I have had several chalices change color.

I grow SPS and everything else with my 6 bulb Powermodule on my 120G 4X2X2.Why not consider supplementing your 6 bulb with some LED's for some shimmer and more PAR if you think you need it.

which LED strip/system would you suggest?
I am not talented enough to do a DIY so any there on the market?

I found a guy on Ebay that did me a 9 bulb strip (3W bulbs) and it was like $75 delivered. I needed some more blue on a small FT I had going. I sure you could find somebody to do you a bigger strip.

Back