Upgrading Tank, Need Help With Transfer Plan

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mad921

I'm upgrading to a larger tank and am trying to figure out the best way to do it. Fortunately, a fellow member here has been kind enough to let me have some live rock and sand from his system so there won't be any issues with having to cure anything...just the logistics of it all to deal with.

After a lot of formulation my thinking is that I should set up the new system with the water, new sand, and new rock, then break down my current tank placing all of the rock and livestock in tubs (with pumps and heaters of course). At that point I could move my sand over, give everything time to settle, then set my rock back up and move the livestock in.

It seems pretty simple as I type it out, but I really don't expect it to be. Things I see as potential issues are water chemistry between the old tank, the tubs, and the new tank, the length of time it might take for my sand to settle once I add it to the new tank, and any "junk" that might be stirred up in the process of transferring the sand. I believe I have the water chemistry issue covered owing to the fact that I've been using Catalina NSW (which varies only slightly from batch to batch). The extent of the later issues are kind of concerning to me though.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I suppose an initial question should be directed towards whether or not my plan is sound to begin with or if I should go about it another way. Aside from that input on how to deal with the other issues I mentioned as well as any I haven't come up with would be really helpful.

Thanks so much!

I would not reuse any sand from yours or anyone elses tank. The LR will reseed a new SB.

Don

I would not reuse any sand from yours or anyone elses tank. The LR will reseed a new SB.

Don

Thanks for the reply. What about all the life in my sand? Is there a way to save it if I don't reuse it? I've got tons of good critters like spaghetti worms, peanut worms, mini brittle stars...things that don't necessarily come off every batch of rock.

Thanks for the reply. What about all the life in my sand? Is there a way to save it if I don't reuse it? I've got tons of good critters like spaghetti worms, peanut worms, mini brittle stars...things that don't necessarily come off every batch of rock.

I might skim a tiny bit off the top but probably not. I'd just wait for it to mature all over again. You dont want to transfer stirred up toxins from the sand bed.

Don

What if I was to only fill the new tank half way with water, transfer the sand over, then do a 95% water change?

Don't mean to sound like Im ignoring your advice...just thinking more about what's in there. In addition to the other critters I also have a bunch of snails that bury themselves and I have my doubts I can get them all out without keeping the sand.

Ive been strugling with that same problem even though I wont have to move for a year. Everywhere I have looked, people recomend the same thing with throwing away the sand. I think it may still be possible with a ssb, but certainly not a dsb.
If you really want to save the sand and its inhabitants, id imagine youd need to set up a whole second holding tank for your critters, complete with skimmer, circulation, heat and light. Id use some large rubbermaid bins.
Then, you can set up your tank with the potential hazard sand(Id use something like a dust pan to try to stir it up the least you can), fill it with water, then let it run for few a day and test it. If things look good, then start acclimating your tubs and add them, if things didnt work out then you can toss your sand and refill with more salt water. With the potential of distrubing some nasty stuff in the sand, I dont think youd want to do it any other way then "qt'ing" the sand like that.
So it all depends if your live sand is worth the associated cost of buckets and extra salt. You also need a way of having a ton of pre mixxed SW ready to go, so youd probably need to purchase some plastic garbage cans as well.

Peace,
Jesse

I did a transfer in april and I lost most of my softies. I thought I'd use my top layer of sand and I think that may have had something to do with it. But I have no Idea, I thought I did everything right with tubs and heaters and flow ?????

i agree with Don..i wouldn't transfer any of the sand over to your new tank...i am having the exact same debate..i have tons of starfish that i don't know what to do with.....my new new tank is going to be BB..i don't know what to do with my sand..there is no telling what is in it..i may just keep it in a small tank with no fish or inverts for a while, skim like crazy,do a bunch of water changes, and then see where the water quality is

Back