using a Plenum in a aquarium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thats the whole purpose of threads like this. So that people understand what's going on in their tank.

I answered a question to someone on another board who pulled his sandbed and expected his phosphate problem to disappear. It didn't get any better and wanted to know why. It turned out that he had a 1/4" of detritus in his sump the entire time. His sandbed was probably fine as his tank was only a year or two old.

Sandbeds have some disadvantages and some disadvantages.

Advantages

• If you travel a lot for work, the sandbed will sink (store) detritus so it doesn't rot in your water column.
  • A properly maintained one is attractive.
  • It's a great phosphate sink and can make up for newbies tendency to overfeed.
  • If properly set up you will get NNR (Natural Nitrate Reduction) from it. It doesn't really do what Dr. Shimek claims it does as much as most people think. What really happens once the sandbed is not new is Ammonification. Very little of the Nitrates burn off as Nitrogen gas. Most of it goes back to Ammonium. Here's what happens: Ammonium to Nitrite to Nitrate and then back to Ammonium. However, the end result is the same, low Nitrates in the water column. The ammonium only becomes a problem when the bed is filled up because Ammonium is a natural fertilizer.

Disadvantages
  • They give a false sense of security to newbies. They think that because they are not showing high Nitrate readings, they are not overfeeding.
  • There is no way of determining when they will start releasing phosphates and ammonium back into the water column. (However, cyanobacteria that cannot be beat with more circulation is a clue).
  • Certain corals need more circulation than sandbeds will allow
  • Hydrogen Sulphide pockets can form in anaerobic areas which is dangerous if disturbed.
  • If there is a power outage, the bacterial respiration causes Dissolved Oxygen in the tank to drop much more rapidly than a BB or SSB tank risking fish lives.
  • You don't have a way of controlling biological processes.

One major disadvantage of BB is that if you travel a lot, it's hard to siphon up your dead areas. I've found that no matter how good you design your flow, there is always somewhere in your tank where detritus pools. You don't want to let that rot in your tank as it will release phosphates and Nitrates.

Delbeek had set up a large system at the Waikiki Aquarium

Some Info to ponder Skimerwhisperer, Curt, Stonycorals and the rest of the gang. For me personally I have been following this thread for better understanding. I have a sand bed currently because I personally like the looks.
Is it better ???
What I am trying to do is learn more! To answer Skimerwhisperer previous post is yes do these tanks run plenums now? i'll bet they dont.....
I have a Issue of Marine Fish and Reef that is the 2007 annual and on page 16 It starts with a very good read on plenums it also addresses BB and sand beds as well the Author is Delbeek on this article and he address stonycorals post below. I support all what you guys have been posting I am not saying one way or another is the best I am just trying to understand the best positives and negatives of each system. I thank you Curt for putting your time into addressing this all have been very helpful and Inforitive:)
Skimerwhisperer I really cave a great Visual on your post if you were building a new house, would you put the organic wastes from the inhabitants underneath your living room/bedroom??(plenum)
no, you would flush them down the toilet...(skimmer)

In My small 75 gallon Tank My clowns will go on a clean rampage to sweep the sand away from the next egg laying spot they choose After the female gets done tearing up the sand my skimmer just go's into max skimming mode And I usually dump the skimmate cup 2 to 3 time more often then when my clowns leave the sand alone.
Again good postings and thank you all for sharing this info...Jeff's 2 cents

Wow talk about anecdotal evidence. Dr Jean Jaubert does use more of a gravel-sized substrate for his systems. However, Delbeek had set up a large system at the Waikiki Aquarium that employed smaller grained sand and was quite successful at maintaining near NSW nutrient levels despite the addition of inorganic nutrients via the well used.

There is no question that plenums work and work well. Much like DSBs, plenums have been imcorrectly blamed for tank crashes, when in reality it is typically the fault of the aquarist.

There is a slight but important correction to make to what mojo said. The reason that plenums work isn't due to waer being forced mechanically through the sand like that of an undergravel filter, its simply concentration gradients.

Lastly, due to active biological processes sandbeds (plenum or DSB) does NOT become a nutrient sink.

More on plenums

I do not dispute that plenums may have merit. Mine worked fine for over two years. I have simply related my story and experience with a system I built using a plenum. Incidentally I used the 'special reef floor grade' aragonite that was all the rage at the time. I still have about 500 lbs. of it in bags which I will use on another system(s). At the time, I felt a compelling degree of logic and physical evidence was building in favor of plenums. If you will re-read my first post above, especially paragraph 2 you will see that I have stated my conclusions based on a disaster that occured (one data point). Although I stated it was a possibility, I do not suspect the plenum caused the problem, and have said so.

Since that time I have re-thought the merits of using a plenum. I have simply decided that I will use a bare deep sand bed. For now, I will not use a plenum in a tank or any other reservoir that is incapable of being isolated from my display tank. I have recounted many observations in the wild and over many years in this hobby and can see no merit over not using one. Perhaps I should set-up a bank of 20 tanks with, and 20 without plenums with closely matched parameters and conduct a properly designed experiement, where statistical inference has some meaning, and yields high confidence intervals. So far no one I am aware of has done it. That means simply that any 'conclusions' need to be placed in the realm of 'empirical evidence', which is where most of the advancement comes from in our 'hobby'. By observation. Simply carefully noting what works and what does not.

I usually try to weigh things carefully before reaching a definitive conclusion. I think that the plenums main attribute is likely serving as a distribution manifold for nutrients, disolved gases, etc., so that the mechanisms occuring within the gravel are 'perhaps' more uniform. So far I have not seen anyone come forward with any compelling scientific basis for using one or not. There are many aquarists that have had success on both sides of this issue, including myself.

I do take the blame for placing a sea apple in a community/reef tank. That is a mistake that I will never repeat, and I would caution anyone reading this to heed my warning. My sea apple seemed fine, was fed regularly, and ate a widely varied diet. In spite of that it apparently died with no warning. I was able to perform a 'partial' water change (excluding the water under the plenum) and filter with carbon. All to no avail. In retrospect I regret not being able to get the water in the plenum out, as it could have had neurotoxin from the sea apple in it, and continued poisoning the other inhabitants. Or, it may have just been a case of too little too late.

My new interest now lies in trying to replicate as many micro-environments as possible within my 'system'. This includes the reef itself, pelagic, non-photosynthetic benthic and inter-coastal environments (certainly mud flats, and maybe mangroves or saw grass or 'turtle grass'). I grew up in Florida and studied them all in some detail earlier on. Diversity seems to make a lot of sense from a systemic point of view, the longer I study marine environments.

NOTE: I WANT TO POINT OUT THAT I'M NOT ANTI-DSB ALTHOUGH I DO HAVE A PREFERENCE FOR SHALLOW SAND BEDS AND BARE BOTTOMS.

I agree. Especially about the Carlson Surge Device. I know someone who didn't run his for a couple of years and then he finally started up again. He saw his SPS corals really explode afterwards. Personal note: NaH2O, Mojoreef, MtnDewMan and I got to eat dinner with Bruce Carlson a couple years back and he's one of the nicest guys you would ever meet.

When speaking of Lee Chin Eng, I wasn't talking about Leng Sy who invented the Ecosystem Miracle Mud filtration method. Lee Chin Eng actually preceeded all of the current promoters of NNR by a good 40 years. Google him....his story is quite interesting.

However, your point is absolutely correct and taken. The systems are different. Newer people won't know this but Dr. Ron's recommendations are POLAR OPPOSITES to what Jaubert would recommend. Newer people to the hobby unfortunately missed the Bob Goemans/Dr. Ron Battles....now those were entertaining. Bob was pro-Jaubert Plenum and Dr. Ron was pro-DSB. (If you want to get technical, Dr. Ron was pro-Dr. Ron.....if he farted, you were lucky if you got to smell it. :rolleyes:)

NNR is taking care of the Nitrates and the orthophosphates are being sunk in the nutrient sink (for now). I've run DSB's as well for quite some time with similar results. My following post will give some of my basic opinions on them.

:D No worries. This is nothing but the good doctor inventing facts yet again. You need bacteria and you need bio-turbation from some larger species of benthic critters....nothing more. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I RESPECT HIS AMAZING KNOWLEDGE OF CREEPY-CRAWLIES CRITTERS. HOWEVER, I DON'T RESPECT HIM WHEN HE SPOUTS OFF ABOUT THINGS OUTSIDE HIS FIELD OF EXPERTISE WHICH, UNFORTUNATELY, IS QUITE OFTEN.

AMEN!!! Since this was in the Advanced Forum, I thought I would throw up a post that would trigger not only emotion but also thinking (as opposed to merely copying and pasting what other guru's have said).

My bad, wrong guy Eng... I can't say that I've read much of Eng... Curt, love the post, esp. re: Dr Ron.... As far as CSDs, I can not state how awesome they are. Obvously for a display tank, it makes it tough. I've one (30 gallon), soon to be two( 20 - 30 gal), on an sps grow out ~ 100 gallons. The 30 gallons empties in about 30 seconds, tank about water movement! By contrast, I had 2 Tunze 6100s, a Seio 1500, and a mag 9 with two penductors on it, and the CSD killed it in terms of moving water. The corals are much happier.....

The ubiquity of sand beds

With the exception of diving deep vertical reef walls, all of the 'tropical coral reefs' that I have had the pleasure to dive have had sand near by. Yes some bottom areas are rocky in places, but sand is an inevitable result of combining coral and entropy. If they do not have sand in Hawaii (where I have not been diving) I would suggest that the igneous (volcanic) base of the ecosystem dominates in this newly formed system. If there are calcareous photosynthetic reef building corals (and there are) , in time they will yield sand. Hawaii is an exceptional case. Look around the rest of the pacific basin where corals grow. Sandy bottoms. But yes, perhaps not as prevalent on the ocean side due to stronger currents sweeping it away.

My reason for favoring sand beds has nothing to do with reefs at all. It has to do with the hours I gave spent combing over sand flats of all kinds and noticing both the diversity found i them and the unmistakable smell of hydrogen sulphide gas (like rotten eggs, or bad flatulence!). This is the result of anaerobic reduction of proteins, which means it's from living things. Sand flats/bays and the often nearby estuaries are some of the most productive areas on the planet. There's a reason. Diversity of life.

As for the oceans not performing anything like our tanks, that in my opinion is incorrect. It is more a matter of diversification and adaptation. Some bacteria that populate sand beds are opportunistic heterotrophs. They will utilize whatever source of oxygen that is in abundance, whether it be from nitrate or diatomic oxygen molecules (O2). It is not a matter of establishing the right bacteria. Many are already present. They just adapt their metabolism for suvival, and reduce nitrate in the process. Incidentally Curt, ammonium is highly toxic to marine organisms. If it were present in our tanks in any significant amount, lights out. Also, your redox diagram showing the reduction of nitrate to N2 gas skipped the N2O step (nitrous oxide, aka laughing gas-is that why my fish look at me funny? ;) , which is next to last. I love your passion man!

The true secret to a healthy sand bed ( with or without plenum ) in my opinion is in creating an environment that favors the establishment of a diverse and balanced community of organisms within the bed. This probably means not getting eaten too often. I think this means for us being in an area devoid of macro-predators (aka -fish), in other words a separate tank. Look what happens when we set-up refugiums!

One major disadvantage of BB is that if you travel a lot, it's hard to siphon up your dead areas. I've found that no matter how good you design your flow, there is always somewhere in your tank where detritus pools. You don't want to let that rot in your tank as it will release phosphates and Nitrates.

I run BB since 1994, and I agree that no matter how good the flows is you will still have spots where detritus will settle. Even if you have spray bar at the bottom.

Now here is my thinking. We know that we cannot accomplish this by flow design. But what if you tweak the design of your tank floor. Make it in such a way that it will trap detritus for easier collection later on.

We started a thread here a long time ago on how to design a BB tank floor in such a way that you can easily collect detritus.

Do you think this will work?

As for the oceans not performing anything like our tanks, that in my opinion is incorrect. It is more a matter of diversification and adaptation.

It depends on what we mean by "performing". Sure, the bacterial processes that take place in our tank are basically the same that take place in the wild reef, but it's important to realize that these biological processes are largely not responsible for the low nutrient water quality found on the wild reef. This low nutrient state is mostly mechanical in nature...a simple matter of dilution. The biomass to water volume ratio in our reef tanks is vastly greater than what one will find on the wild reef, probably on the order of thousands of times greater. The wild reef is supplied with a constant influx of basically nutrient free water, and the same mechanisim also removes waste from the reef. The large majority of biological processing of waste does not occur in sand flats surrounding the reefs or in mangrove swamps, it occurs in the depths of the ocean where most of the waste ends up. So in reality, the low nutrient levels seen in NSW is due much more to dilution than anything. On the other hand, our reeftanks rely much more heavily on biological processes to maintain water quality, even in the most heavily filtered and skimmed BB setups, the biological aspect is critical, which is in direct contrast to the wild reef. Is this to say these biological processes are unnecessary on the wild reef? Of course not...without them there would be no "food chain" so to speak. But it's important to understand the differences, as that helps give us a chance, no matter how we set up our tanks.

The true secret to a healthy sand bed ( with or without plenum ) in my opinion is in creating an environment that favors the establishment of a diverse and balanced community of organisms within the bed. This probably means not getting eaten too often. I think this means for us being in an area devoid of macro-predators (aka -fish), in other words a separate tank. Look what happens when we set-up refugiums!

The problem with that approach is there are just too many varibles to acheive a lasting balance. Even in a system devoid of larger predators, more efficient organisisms will eventually outcompete lesser ones for available resources, space, ect. Environmental changes will also favor those more tolerant of change than others. Diversity will always eventually taper off. Of course one can add new diversity to the system, but over the long run you end up with a see-saw effect rather than a true balance. I watched this process happen over five years in my DSB.

Yes, diversity will help a DSB, but it still is a finite system. IMO the secret to a healthy sand bed is not to overwhelm it with bioload, and reducing reliance on biological processes by aggressively removing as much waste as you can via skimming, carbon, water changes, ect...*before* it ends up in the sandbed in the first place. Basically, the more load we can take off the sandbed, the longer and more efficiently it will run...

Great thread everybody:D

MikeS

Still a great thread!

Quick question Mike do you still run a deep sand bead now?
If Not did you switch to BB?

How about this approach going with a DSB with or with out a plenum a satellite tank and Running a BB in the main tank how successfully would this be with no fish to disturb it? Or running a race track with a the same approach and have allot of sand sifting Inverts in it?
I have been kicking a Idea of removing my DSB after building a narrow tank and creating 12"-14" wide 120" long chambered tank to house all my different species of Pistol shrimps and their gobie host I haven't researched this enough but its something would like some input on

The problem with that approach is there are just too many varibles to acheive a lasting balance. Even in a system devoid of larger predators, more efficient organisisms will eventually outcompete lesser ones for available resources, space, ect. Environmental changes will also favor those more tolerant of change than others. Diversity will always eventually taper off. Of course one can add new diversity to the system, but over the long run you end up with a see-saw effect rather than a true balance. I watched this process happen over five years in my DSB.

Yes, diversity will help a DSB, but it still is a finite system. IMO the secret to a healthy sand bed is not to overwhelm it with bioload, and reducing reliance on biological processes by aggressively removing as much waste as you can via skimming, carbon, water changes, ect...*before* it ends up in the sandbed in the first place. Basically, the more load we can take off the sandbed, the longer and more efficiently it will run...

Great thread everybody:D

MikeS

Delbeek took it down after three + years as it was a research tank. Dr Jaubert, why wouldn't he, Calfo yes, Sprung yes, me, yes :)

so your saying that anthony and julian still have plenum tanks running today???
well, i know anthony is around here i'd love to hear what he has to say about it...not what you think he says about it....
frankly, i just dont agree with your supposition that all dsb/plenum failures are due to human error...
or that biological activity will prevent the plenum/dsb from being a nutrient sink.
and i take issue with studies that were done in the ocean and then applied to a small closed system. that is one of the most unscientific things i've ever heard of.(not addressing you personally stonycorals)
all i know is that if you like colorful sps, than dont bother with dsb or plenum.
and once again, i think it comes down to how you stock your aquarium, and what corals/fish you like, as to weather a certain methodology will work for you.
i dont think a couple clowns and damsels with some zoes, mushrooms, and capnella care what is filtering the system....comparably

i will completely agree with the fact that csd's are awesome for sps tanks...love em!! i wonder why more sps tanks dont have them?
for smaller systems, one 5 g bucket and a toilet kit from home despot and your done.

Quick question Mike do you still run a deep sand bead now?
If Not did you switch to BB?

I removed the DSB 2 years ago in october when I moved the tank, it is now a BB setup. I have a larger tank I'm going to move the reef to hopefully sometime this summer, I plan on a SSB in that tank.

How about this approach going with a DSB with or with out a plenum a satellite tank and Running a BB in the main tank how successfully would this be with no fish to disturb it? Or running a race track with a the same approach and have allot of sand sifting Inverts in it?
I have been kicking a Idea of removing my DSB after building a narrow tank and creating 12"-14" wide 120" long chambered tank to house all my different species of Pistol shrimps and their gobie host I haven't researched this enough but its something would like some input on

I think that a remote DSB has some merit, providing it is large enough to not get quickly overwhelmed...if it is too small, its lifespan will be shortened accordingly. One advantage to running a DSB remotely is that it can be quickly isolated from the main tank if it begins to become problematic.

MikeS

processing waste

I disagree with how waste is processed in marine environments. Yes dilution occurs. I believe this is significant only on a local scale (ie-near the reef). However, on a large time scale dilution becomes irrelavent. Why? Because the oceans are finite, and the nutrients are eventually processed by something, ie-they are 'recycled' by nature.

The vast amount of disolved nutrients are processed by the phytoplankton in the pelagic zone (open ocean), not the benthic zone (deep ocean floor) as stated above. No doubt both occur to some degree, but the plankton dominate at this game by a huge margin. There is significant 'upwelling' of nutrients from the abyssal plain, but this occurs seasonally in spring and fall. This is not processing of nutrients per se, but rather a redistribution of them so that they end up being processed elsewhere. The photosynthetic varieties of plankton dominate in shear numbers as well. Many photosynthetic dinoflagellates produce oily substances which are stored in their bodies in vaccuoles (little storage compartments, or technically 'organelles'). If you have ever witnessed the unfortunate demise of an anemone, you have no doubt witnessed the 'oil slick' which occurs. I believe this may be due to these oily substances (lipids) produced by photosynthetic symbionts.

One needs only to take but a look at what is going on in the Gulf of Mexico. Near the mouth of the Mississippi River there is over 600 square miles of ocean (at last count, some years ago) that is, and I quote, "technically a dead zone due to nutrient levels coming from the river". The nutrients are due to run off from farms along the Mississippi river. Algae grow and die so rapidly, that their decay is using up the available O2 and releasing huge quatities of CO2. Yes, this is an exceptional case, but I think also serves as a good example of what goes on with nutrients.

Incidentally, the vast oil reserves of the world are near oceans (or former oceans) for a reason. They were laid down over millions of years by plankton processing nutrients, dying and sinking to the bottom, where they were covered by layers of sedimentary limestone deposited by calcium carbonate saturated water. This gives us some perspective of the scale of this phenomenon. Impressive to think little 'bugs' did all that, isn't it?

Nutrients enter a body of water, phytoplankton present with CO2 and sunlight yield an explosion , a literal blooming of algae. I studied this in the lakes of central Florida where I grew up. Fertilizer from yards runs off into lakes during rainstorms. The nitrogen and phosphorous present with algae, CO2 and sunlight result in algae blooms, which then die and sink to the bottom. This results in a rapid acceleration of eutrophication (the natural aging process) of the lakes. Sometimes growth of the algae is so rapid that the ones in the upper layers block the light out needed by the ones below them, and thus cause their premature death. This is what is happening in the Gulf. People used to laugh about this explaination. Repeated studies have now born it out as fact, using methods including radionucleotide marking of the fertilizers. Not bad for a group of "well intentioned high school kids" as we were refered to 'back in the day'.

The 'red tides' we experience along coastal areas is another example. Red tide is caused incidentally, by dinoflagellates (gymnodynium -sp?- species, as I recall) that closely resemble zooxanthellae, the symbiotic 'algae' or correctly 'algae containing' protists that are responsible for helping our photosynthetic corals to survive. The scientific lierature is rife with examples of this.

We cannot replicate the pelagic ratios found in the sea, much less sustain plankton populations even close to what happens there. In that, I agree that our tanks do not represent what goes on in the 'open ocean'. Although by way of my examples above, 'open' is a matter of perspective. In truth the oceans are finite as well. From that perspective, our tanks are very much like the oceans. Whether you choose to view the oceans as 'open' or not is arguable, that they are finite is not.

Last edited:
Great idea MikeS

I like this man's way of thinking! You bring up a great point. The oceans are not static and neither should be our tanks, as much as we may like them to be. What if we set-up a series of refugiums, one every couple of months. All connected to one show tank. For arguments sake, say a half dozen refugiums total. After some period of time, say a year, we tear down the first one and start it over again 'fresh'. Then in sequence we keep 'turning' them over, changing one out every 2 months. This might provide a constant source of change and enhance diversity without threatening the overall stability of basic water parameters. We could export all that phosphorous that is locked-up in the sediment as well. A fairly regular 16 percent turn-over rate would result.

Last edited:
I like this man's way of thinking! You bring up a great point. The oceans are not static and neither should be our tanks, as much as we may like them to be. What if we set-up a series of refugiums, one every couple of months. All connected to one show tank. For arguments sake, say a half dozen refugiums total. After some period of time, say a year, we tear down the first one and start it over again 'fresh'. Then in sequence we keep 'turning' them over, changing one out every 2 months. This might provide a constant source of change and enhance diversity without threatening the overall stability of basic water parameters. We could export all that phosphorous that is locked-up in the sediment as well. A fairly regular 16 percent turn-over rate would result.

Practical issues aside, that would be an interesting way to approach a remote substrate system...

MikeS

Modular remote substrate refugia

Practical issues aside, that would be an interesting way to approach a remote substrate system...

MikeS

I have 6- 10 gal. aquariums, which will fit nicely under my 125. After we complete our move to a new home, I am going to try it. This will probably not happen for a few months at least.

newfragrack.jpg

I set up these three side tanks for remote system management. I can change things in the aquarium environment without redoing the whole system.

Here are some facts(yes facts) from keeping SW/FW aquariums 25 years. I have used nitrate denitrifying reactors, sugar, vodka, sulphur denitrification, electric plates system for ion denitrification, DSB, Plenums, 500g reservoir with 2 gallon per drip for semi open system, Bare bottom tanks with huge skimmers, and what have I learned?

1. The reactors work, but are high maintenance and require regular feedings and depending on bio-load require proper sizing(sometimes several units run in series) to work efficiently. These IMO are troublesome to use and I would not recommend them.

2. Sugar/vodka/etc. these are carbon sources containing forms of ATP which will illicit a heterotrophic bacterial bloom within the aquarium. These bacteria are present in very small quantities(when compared to nitrasomosa..sp?) but explode when fed a strong food source like sugar/glucose. They turn the water foggy white and are visible to the naked eye. They last about 72 hours and their respiration consumes the nitrate ion converting NO3 to nitrogen gas. Nitrates will amazingly disappear. WOW! The problem, many. Phosphates aren't affected at all and can have negative effects by causing the proliferation of hydrogen sulfide. too much sugar/carbon and the tank will lose too much oxygen and crash. IMO, this must be done in small doses and done carefully with the full understanding of the processes taking place. I do this monthly with sugar instead of vodka, however vodka is a cleaner source. I use 2 sugar packets for coffee for 280g of water. This is to boost bacterial populations and to accelerate the decomposition of detritus. I do not recommend that you use this without a complete understanding of carbon boosting.

3.Sulphur denitrification...works well, but again sulphur beads need to be replaced and certain sulphur systems need to be maintained/fed. Some of these processes happen in the plenum system naturally thru bacteria. I again do not recommend this system to the average reefkeeper. I also used a hobby sized system on a 240g reef and felt it was not properly sized to bio-load.

4. Electric plates...I am not even sure if these are still available. I believe the system was called the Nitrate Eliminator. I bought one and it worked but the plates had to be cleaned which meant too much maintenance again. Plus I wasn't comfortable with the design. I mentioned it because I used it once and saw positive results but remember it being too much work.

5. DSB...They work and I have one. What many people don't understand about the deep sand bed is how they work. the system is incomplete by itself. It will remove nitrates! Great! But it can store phosphates. Too many phosphates and you will see the proliferation of pockets of black hydrogen sulphide forming. DO NOT DISTURB THESE AREAS!!! Just reduce the phosphates as much as possible and the bacteria will convert the area back to the way it was before too many phosphates accumulated.

Phosphates are only part of the problem with a DSB. The second as Curt pointed out is ammonification! Yes, people ammonium is produced! That is why there is an algal food source at the surface of the bed when all water parameters say there shouldn't be. To offset these 2 problems we need to add a FAST GROWING macro algae. This will feed on the ammonium and aid in the reduction/accumulation of phosphates.

To properly use a DSB long term we need to understand that we must limit Phosphates as much as possible before they have a chance to cause any problems and we must have an algal form growing above the sand bed to help consume our ammonium.

I feed a large variety of foods and at large quantity to my reef. Flake foods are a part of that and are high in phosphates. Therefore I scrub with an iron oxide resin and have the fuge. I recommend using strong illumination over the fuge for faster growth of the algae. If you wish to use a DSB I would strongly advise that you add a separate tank (40g breeder) for this where the sand bed can have a large surface area exposed to water column(Not covered in liverock) and have alot of macro growing. I prefer Chaeto. I then strongly recommend the use of a iron based phosphate resin that is changed every 30 days. This should prove to provide a very healthy reef long term.

6. Plenum...very efficient and probably the best Nitrate reducer! The biggest problem is construction of the plenum and proper installation. The second biggest problem is that people place live rock above them. These again should be set up in a separate tank with say a foot print of 48"X24" or larger if space can be provided. The more surface area the bigger the bio-load it can process. I used a DSB because I did not have the materials or time to build the plenum. I regret not having a plenum but have adapted my system to still work as efficiently.

This guy custom builds plenums for you...Contact Todd Schwarz at [email protected] for more info

7. Semi open systems...works great! Very expensive and requires space for water storage. Basically you mount a large container on a second level of the house (2 are better) and you use a drip line (1/4") to the main tank. Then adjust the flow to about 2 GPH and then install a drain at the desired water level of the sump and plumb it to a sewer. FW breeders use systems like this to constantly change the water. I tried it on a shark system and it worked but was expensive. If processing tap water at this size and salt was cheaper this would work well. It is not practical for most people though.

8. Bare bottom tanks...high maintenance! The point of a bare bottom tank is to remove the detritus before it begins to break down and foul the water. This means mechanical filtration and the use of a siphon to remove this material. Lots of work. It does make a cleaner system that will grow a healthy reef. I believe that there are easier ways though. This system requires the use of aggressive skimming.

In the end a large protein skimmer is IMO a necessity. Yes, you can run reef tanks without them, but I have always had better results with bigger skimmers. I also follow the aquarium industry in Europe and all of the phenomenal tanks I have seen have used very large skimmers. If your skimmer body is less than 30" tall I high recommend that a recirc mod be added to increase dwell time. I prefer skimmers with 4' tall reaction chambers. MRC is an excellent skimmer when sized to the proper pump. The plain and simple fact about the addition of a skimmer is redox potential. Your ORP reading will increase if you add a skimmer, therefore so does your oxygen levels and there is proof in the readings of the removal of DOC's. A definite benefit.

Finally let me say that all the above systems will create incredibly, healthy environments if the aquarist understands exactly how the system works, what work is involved to the proper maintenance, and has the time and resources to properly maintain each one. System crashes(outside of toxic animal releases) are always due to some human error, either in not setting the system up properly or by not understanding the NEEDS of the system you have built. They are not as common as they used to be in the late 80's and 90's but still happen because some element of the science of aquaria was misunderstood.

I recently did some work with a researcher from the Field Museum Chicago, she was a micro biologist studying corals with MRI technology. She knew alot but didn't know anything at all about aquarium husbandry. Captive systems compared to the reefs themselves are two completely different arenas and is why we really need researchers to look at captive systems as well as the natural reef.

To summarize, lets not only be concerned with nitrate reduction but also the reduction of DOC's and phosphates. Let's incorporate strong skimming, chemical filtration, and even U.V. Sterilizers and ozone to help our tanks be as healthy as possible.

Back