Vacuum substrate

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tava716

tava716
Good day all!

I change 30 gallons of water every 2 weeks on my 90 gallon tank. I use a siphon and I vacuum my substrate very well with each water change. Is this good? Should I quit vacuuming/ should I only vacuum once a month instead of twice?

I only askbecouse I do not want to be removing anything I should not be from the substrate.

Substrate is "special grade reef sand"

Thanks!

james

Well you will probley get answers across the board here. Mine is do it. I have only had success with a sand bed by frequently taking 1/4 of it out, putting it in a bucket putting a quick filter on a hagen powerhead and stirring the heck out of it till it was clean and putting it back in. I have heard of stirring it with a dowel tied to a siphon hose to remove dirt and other methods of cleaning the bed. I do have to say that the most success I have had has been placing the sand in field next to my house and just leaving it there. It seems to work the best for my tank out in the yard. The cat seems to like to use it to bury poop in. I know many other people have had great success with sand beds. I was a big proponet of them, untill I tried removing it. Now I am much happier with much less work.

I use the special grade reef sand which is like really small gravel (crushed coral and stuff). I do not have the really fine sand. I like to vacuum it. It makes it nice and white ever time I do it.

I am also one of those that say vacuuming it helps reduce the bioload placed upon it. How deep is it??

Mike

I vacuum mine like there is no tomorrow. My substrate is just for looks and doesn't really serve any other purpose so I tend to keep it as clean as possible. I vacuum once a week. How's that tank coming along James?

tava716 said:
Good day all!

I change 30 gallons of water every 2 weeks on my 90 gallon tank. I use a siphon and I vacuum my substrate very well with each water change. Is this good? Should I quit vacuuming/ should I only vacuum once a month instead of twice?

I only askbecouse I do not want to be removing anything I should not be from the substrate.

Substrate is "special grade reef sand"

Thanks!

james
I would say that it depends on what you are using the sand bed for. If you are trying to strike a balance between looks and to help with waste as well as habitat for the myriad of critters that typically live there, then only do it once a month, if it is there for looks only--then vacuum the heck out of it, and if you are using it as a DSB, then I would only disturb about the first 1/2 inch or so of it and don't do it all at once.

HTH

Anne

Mojo,
About 2inches deep.

Krish,
Tank is doing well. I am now running 2 overlow boxes rated at 600 GPH each adn 2 return pumps. Each pump pushes through 3/4 inch PVC that shoots the flow back into the tank at a 45 degree angle into the water. How is yours doing?

My2,
I am using if for generally only looks. If critters live in it, well tht is fine. I do not think I need to use it as part of the biological filteration. I have bioballs and a ASM G-3 skimmer (bigger than I need for a 90 gallon tank) all in my 30 gallon sump.

Krish,
Tank is doing well. I am now running 2 overlow boxes rated at 600 GPH each adn 2 return pumps. Each pump pushes through 3/4 inch PVC that shoots the flow back into the tank at a 45 degree angle into the water. How is yours doing?

Getting there. I'm in the process of setting it all back up now with new equipment and ideas and without any artificial rock background and bio-balls. Some pictures should be added tonight on my thread, "Krish's bahamian inspired 90 gal" in the members showcase forum...

I was told that your sand bed is a denitratifcation system that eats away your nitrate levels and phosphate levels and that you should load it up with sand sifting stars and hermits and snalis. But i can't stand looking at the galss beneath the sand bed. I vacumm mine into a filter bag in my sump. I really don't know theres a fish store near my house and he has a 350 gallon SPS display tank with a 4" DSB and his tank is unbelievable. I wish i knew.

Back