Vapor Harmful ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scott69

I was primer coating the floor in the living room of my house (with ventalation). The next day I noticed that the water in my reeftank, located in the room nextdoor, was getting cloudy. come to find out in another room on the other side of the house a 45g freshwater tank look almost like somone had dumped a gal. of milk into it. I initiated immediate 50% water changes in both tanks assuming that the vapors from the primer were the problem. The livestock/coral are showing no signs of Illness/poisoning.
I guess my question is, Has anyone experienced this type of problem, and did it end badly?. I hate to see things die.
I am going to continue doing frequent and large water changes for the next month.

Temp 79, Sg1.024, pH 8.3,(KH)ppm 370, No3 5, No2 0 NH3/NH4 0

Thanks For your time.

-Scott

I would agree that it could be harmful. However, do you have any Halimeda? I've recently had a scare when I woke to find my 75 totally cloudy one morning. After testing and finding everything alright, I started a large water change. It was then that I noticed a large clump of my Halimeda had turned SNOW white. I decided to do some research and found that it had gone sexual. It had absolutely no ill effect on the tank inhabitants and cleared up by the end of the day. Most suggested I remove the now dead Halimeda and that it might poison my tank. A couple people, who's opinions I trust, told me to leave it alone and that the Halimeda would basically turn to aragonite sand. I left it alone. Everything was just fine. Soooo to make this LONG story short, do you have any Halimeda in your tank and is it now white? If not, I'd attribute it to the possibility of harmful vapors.

Finishing floors will kill your tank. The tank needed to be bagged and power vented with outside air.

Don

I was primer coating the floor in the living room of my house
Was it latex or oil primer? What exactly are you doing to the floor? Concrete, oak, plywood subfloor? Ive painted with latex too many time to think about, near my reef in the last three years. Never worried about ventilating or covering. Never a problem.

Project and product

Was it latex or oil primer? What exactly are you doing to the floor? Concrete, oak, plywood subfloor? Ive painted with latex too many time to think about, near my reef in the last three years. Never worried about ventilating or covering. Never a problem.

Project:
Covering over water damaged/mildew hard wood, to make way for new carpet.

Product: B.I.N. Primer/Sealer made by Zinsser. It does not say anything about latex or oil.

Contents: Barium Sulfate, Ethanol, Isopropanol, Kaolin, Mica, Shellac, Titanium Dioxide, and last but not least water. what every growing kid wants for breakfast. Homedepot product.

I figure the Gorgonian will give me advanced notice of impending Doom.

Thanks for the input, I will do what I can, maintain a close watch and hope for the best.

-Scott

"Ethanol, Isopropanol"

Alcohol based solvent, NOT water based. You have gotten soluble toxins in your tank. If not started already as I earlier recommended, run massive amounts of carbon after a HUGE water change. Get outside air in that room and if possible as Don suggested, bad and outside vent the tank.

"Ethanol, Isopropanol"

Alcohol based solvent, NOT water based. You have gotten soluble toxins in your tank. If not started already as I earlier recommended, run massive amounts of carbon after a HUGE water change. Get outside air in that room and if possible as Don suggested, bad and outside vent the tank.

Yep, what he said. I was just going to key in on the Ethonal..:eek:

Lots of carbon. The cheap stuff from petco works well if you dont have any. For that matter, any aquarium carbon

Edit. That shellac near the bottom of the list isnt very good stuff either.

Last edited:
Back