Getting ready to add SPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cool. They are easy to assemble. Probably want some sort of plastic mesh for the screen material. Can put it in just like actual screen.

Something like garden bird netting would work (I think that is 1/2" squares.)
I do have something like a 6' by 10' piece of 1/4" plastic mesh if you need. I could stuff some in an envelop and mail to you if you want it (minimum order was 6'X12' when I got it for my tank lid)

Thanks for the offer but I got a bunch of scraps left over from when I switched lights and from the slidding door screen. The hole size is pretty small but I think it should work. I didnt see much of a problem with light getting through when I had six layers stacked up so I think one should be fine. I wonder if metal would be a better option though, less chance of melting. I just need to buy some frame material from the glass store down the road.

I'd be curious to see your pictures though, kinda of get an idea of what will work.

Thanks again.

mwebber,

Rob is all over it and you sounds like u r in good hands...

I bet you see a 1-2 temp drop when the glass lid is removed.

mwebber,

Rob is all over it and you sounds like u r in good hands...

I bet you see a 1-2 temp drop when the glass lid is removed.

I hope so, that would put my temp in a pretty tight range, something I'll bet the corals would appreciate. This place is awesome, tons of knowledge and advice for free.

Thanks guys.

Rob, thanks for the pictures. I have decided not to build screens at this time. I have a six line wrasse that has taken his aggression out on the only jumpers in my tank, the purple firefish. I havent seen them for a couple of days and they were the reason for the lid. Sometimes my nem has an expensive dinner. So I took my lid off today before the lights came on and tada!!! temp range was 76-78, problem solved... well at least until I smell something funny in the living room.

So back to my water parameters for all you guys curious about my replacement stuff. I am going to do a change in the morning and have had my water ready to go for 3 days now. I tested all 3 five gallon jugs and they were nearly identical except one jug had a CA of 620(I probably lost count, would not be the first time). This is a new 5 gallon bucket of reef crystals I bought a few weeks ago. This is my third 5 gallon bucket of this stuff and it seems like the only low level has always been the Mag.

CA 600
MG 1250
Kh 9
PH 8

Mg is a bit low, but don't think it is low enough to cause any problems. My mag is higher now, but I had corals doing great for a long time when it was around 1250. Calcium is pretty high though. Why is it so high? Are you dosing kalk or something? Might want to back off on the Ca.

That is my replacement water straight from the bucket and mixed 3 days ago. My display tank's CA is 420 and Mag is 1250.

When I do water changes and test 4 hours later my Ca is always around 460. I think I'm going back to the Instant Ocean and will dose CA accordingly to get a tighter control.

In that case it sounds like you are in pretty good shape. If you are up near seattle on evenings/weekends, swing by and I will give you a pair of SPS frags to throw in and test things out. Could maybe cut off a piece of a candycane for you tro try out a hearty lps too.

Thanks and Ill have to stop by next trip. So far I have added a Oregon tort., monti, birdsnest and a piclopora. All are looking very happy.

I just had a couple of generic stag pieces I was going to give you to test your system. Sounds like you already have some much nicer pieces doing well, so probably not worth the trouble of picking them up (I would be happy to show off my tank of course :), but corals probably aren't worth the trip)

Back