Vinegar Solution

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

Hi, what kind of vinegar do you use, and in what proportions when cleaning pumps ect?

White vinegar.....Some thin it, some dont.

The stronger it is the more quickly it will do its job.

Do a search on using muriatic acid. Dose the trick just a little faster but you MUST mix it right and use gloves and eye safety glasses

Why use something so strong as muriatic? While it works fast the down side is not good. Storage, spills and it is not good on lettuce. I use white vinegar overnight and just let it sit. Combination of fresh water and vinegar gets rid of odor and build up and pumps skimmers and tanks are better also.

Why use something so strong as muriatic? While it works fast the down side is not good. Storage, spills and it is not good on lettuce. I use white vinegar overnight and just let it sit. Combination of fresh water and vinegar gets rid of odor and build up and pumps skimmers and tanks are better also.

Because I don't have to let then soak overnight. And how hard is it to store a 1 gal jug.

Muriatic acid you buy at the hardware store is not that big of deal its only 30% or less. It works much faster and in the long run cheaper than vinegar. The only trick is to add the acid to the water not the water to the acid. Although you probably should wear gloves its not strong enough to really burn your skin when diluted for cleaning.

Don

Most everyone has vinegar around, and diluted white vinegar is also great on cleaning wood floors. I use it full strength, overnight, soaking the etch off of any glass pieces that I can remove (re: MH glass covers)

I know what vinegar is made of, but I don't know what muriatic acid is made of, so am willing to wait a day for results.

Isn't that why they always offer you vinegar when you order fish and chips? Just goes together, right? :)

Some plasics will swell with muriatic acid (I've heard Tunze pumps have this problem) and the PH is only slighly lower than vinegar so it doesn't work that much faster. Straight vinegar has a PH of 2.5; plenty low enough to disolve even the most hard calcium given time.

Some plasics will swell with muriatic acid (I've heard Tunze pumps have this problem) and the PH is only slighly lower than vinegar so it doesn't work that much faster. Straight vinegar has a PH of 2.5; plenty low enough to disolve even the most hard calcium given time.

Muraiatic acid does not swell tunze pumps or anything Ive ever soaked in it. The ph is lower than vinegar by far. Its closer to 0. PH is a tenfold scale. Vinegar is acetic acid and is weak when diluted in water. Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid diluted. Both are good options vinegar is more expensive when you consider the amount needed. Muriatic acid is $6 per gallon and goes three time as far as vinegar. I buy it by the case and only pay $4 per gallon and use it everyday to clean my shop floor diluted in my mop bucket.
I think it more the fear factor of the name itself is why people shy away from using muriatic vs vinegar not real life experience.

Don

Last edited:
Muraiatic acid does not swell tunze pumps or anything Ive ever soaked in it. The ph is lower than vinegar by far. Its closer to 0. PH is a tenfold scale. Vinegar is acetic acid and is weak when diluted in water. Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid diluted. Both are good options vinegar is more expensive when you consider the amount needed. Muriatic acid is $6 per gallon and goes three time as far as vinegar. I buy it by the case and only pay $4 per gallon and use it everyday to clean my shop floor diluted in my mop bucket.
I think it more the fear factor of the name itself is why people shy away from using muriatic vs vinegar not real life experience.

Don

Tunze disagrees with your statement; as I mentioned I have not tried it but Tunze expressly says that muriatic acid will damage Tunze pumps. I think if statements are to be made that others might read and take as fact that they should be backed by correct information supported by the vendor; risking damage to a pump that is many hundreds of $$ should not be taken so lightly.

To quite Tunze person:

Do not use muriatic acid, it will swell the plastic. Use Vinegar or citric acid.

Back