Volcano reef Round 2/revive tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rothany

RF Premium Member
As many of you know. My tank crashed due to some pollution
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f14/stupid-ex-girlfriend-blahhhh-64218/
The only thing that survived was my mangroves. I love my trees

After thinking long and very hard. And with the awesome support from the forum. I have decided to start the tank back up.

My plan is to clean as much as I can and just re-cure everything in the tank.
Is this a good idea? Water has been filled and im planning to doing water changes like crazy

Thanks to everyone for being so supportive. Its been rough,this love/relationship thing is crazy.

This will help me move on with my life in a way. New start new beginnings.

Those frags you guys are offering will have a good home,when the tank is ready lol :rockon:

How it was before the pollution lol
545707_2069209225216_1694419543_1057792_267425974_n.jpg

pollution

20120423_145240.jpg

20120424_164352.jpg
=(

20120424_164745.jpg

now on to the revive

got all of the water out and re-did my rock
20120501_213156.jpg

Fisherman lives (fishing for a new life)
20120501_222240.jpg

filling time
20120501_223945.jpg

20120501_230830.jpg

So any pointers will help Thank Again guys.

Good for you!! That is what you need a brand new start to keep your mind on a positive note.
Keep us posted.

Just let us know when you need to re stock your tank with life.

Congrats on reviving your tank!! Good for you for starting over, rather than giving up :)

In regards to your sand (because I was thinking the same thing as 1guydude), I would stir it up in the water you just added, do as big a water change as you can (all of it, in fact, if you can), drain the water, fill the tank halfway and do the same thing again - maybe even a 3rd time for good measure. Just my 0.02 on the sand matter :)

Otherwise, re-curing is a good plan for your rock. What route are you taking for that?

I think the sand would need to be washed a lot better than what you are able to do with it in the tank.
If it were me, I would get a tote from WM pull all the sand out of the tank and place it in the tote. Put a hose in the tote with the sand and turn it on. (outside of course).
Leave the water on and stir the sand every 1/2 hour or so. I would do this for a couple of hours. Let it set full over nite then hit the same 1/2 hour stir pattern again for a few more hours. That is my 00.02

There is a good chance of there being some dead organic matter in the sand but not much of a chance at having any Bleach left in there as it pretty much gasses of on its own. If you can smell any ??? just use a little de-chlor and you'll be fine. Your skimmer should handle the organic die off well enough during re-cycling. Do you know for sure that it was only Bleach used to KILL your livestock ??? If something else was used I would suggest using a hermit crab then a snail then a inexpensive Peppermint Shrimp as Canaries before adding anything else to system.

Cheers and Head Up, Todd

<<< Krish's twin sister

Congrats on reviving your tank!! Good for you for starting over, rather than giving up :)

In regards to your sand (because I was thinking the same thing as 1guydude), I would stir it up in the water you just added, do as big a water change as you can (all of it, in fact, if you can), drain the water, fill the tank halfway and do the same thing again - maybe even a 3rd time for good measure. Just my 0.02 on the sand matter :)

Otherwise, re-curing is a good plan for your rock. What route are you taking for that?

With the rock I was just plan in leaving it all in and let it cure with the tank. Is that a good idea. And yes I will do water changes huge ones. Thanks

I think the sand would need to be washed a lot better than what you are able to do with it in the tank.
If it were me, I would get a tote from WM pull all the sand out of the tank and place it in the tote. Put a hose in the tote with the sand and turn it on. (outside of course).
Leave the water on and stir the sand every 1/2 hour or so. I would do this for a couple of hours. Let it set full over nite then hit the same 1/2 hour stir pattern again for a few more hours. That is my 00.02

Dang I should've thought about taking all the sand out and doing that.before putting the water in.

Glad your back in it brotha! Are you gonna go same rock structure or change it up a bit? Anything your gonna do different this time?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

There is a good chance of there being some dead organic matter in the sand but not much of a chance at having any Bleach left in there as it pretty much gasses of on its own. If you can smell any ??? just use a little de-chlor and you'll be fine. Your skimmer should handle the organic die off well enough during re-cycling. Do you know for sure that it was only Bleach used to KILL your livestock ??? If something else was used I would suggest using a hermit crab then a snail then a inexpensive Peppermint Shrimp as Canaries before adding anything else to system.

Cheers and Head Up, Todd

<<< Krish's twin sister

That makes some kind of sense to me. The Skimmer has been going nuts since the startup. So I'm going to wait till the Skimmer cools down a little bit before adding a canary lol

Glad your back in it brotha! Are you gonna go same rock structure or change it up a bit? Anything your gonna do different this time?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2
I changed the rock up a little. Going to be adding another water fall somewhere. And I was thinking of going the softy route. What do you think?

I think SPS forest. You obviously have a knack at growing fuzzy sticks. I also agree with TJL in the chlorine from the bleach evaporating out of the water and not being an issue. I would expect a longer than normal cycle though from the die off from deep within the rock. Regardless of how long the cycle is, you will have corals and fish back into it before too long anyway.

I think SPS forest. You obviously have a knack at growing fuzzy sticks. I also agree with TJL in the chlorine from the bleach evaporating out of the water and not being an issue. I would expect a longer than normal cycle though from the die off from deep within the rock. Regardless of how long the cycle is, you will have corals and fish back into it before too long anyway.

Why thank you. I had the strawberry shortcake piece in there. Man I'm sure gonna miss it. I'm going to wait this sucker out. Also that is cool to know bout the bleach evaporating

Back