Vortech killing fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

loluckyve

Still amazed
This sucks big time I have a VorTech MP40wES and had my coperband stuck to the side then died and now after having it in for a month I lost my naso tang tonight found it stuck to it. Don't think it's going to make it. I only have it up 3/8 of the way. Anyone else loosening fish?

Sorry to hear about your loses :(. Are you sure though it is the pump doing it or are the fish being sucked to it after they have already died for some other reason? That's the first thing that came to mind when I read that you found the fish stuck to the pump...

Yeah, i'd have to say the fish was dead or dying and just ended up there. My 2 little clownfish sit within 6-8 inches of my MP40 and and have no problem avoiding it.

I tend to agree, the Vortecs have a pretty mild suction. Ive seen it on closed loops but not prop pumps.

Don

I had one of our little clowns stuck to one of our little pumps in the QT tank. Saw it happen and thought it was odd that he was just staying in one place. Was able to get him free and cover it with a sponge filter-thing to avoid any future problems. Is there anything you can do to mod your powerhead to keep this from happening again? One time, I'd say it's a fluke. But two??

I'd have to agree that the Vortech isn't killing the fish. The fish are dead or weakened, by illness, and ending up stuck to the vortech. If that's the case, it sounds like you may have something serious, going on in your tank, to cause the initial death of weakening, of your fish.

agreed that its not the vortech. you need to test your water and look at the fish for obvious sign of illness.

No all my fish are very healthy and where swimming around and eating great. The tang was still alive after we got him off but didn't make it. I can see the copperband if he got to close as he was small the size of a 50 cents, but the tang was 4" long and healthy. I guess I need to build a cage around it.

test your water please i have had a mandarin goby swim next the vortech on pulse and reefcrest mode just fine.

Any of your fish, including clown fish, which are naturally weak swimmers, would be able to swim away from the suction, caused by your vortech, if they were healthy. As Don said, the suction, created by a vortech, is actually quite gentle.

And I think the reason for this is in their design. Just like the tunzes. They have suction coming from around the whole circumference of the pump rather than having the suction being generated from one spot like a magdrive for eg would. This is the reason why people will use multiple suction points to feed a single pump for a closed loop rather than just one suction point (single bulkhead). You have just one, and that signle suction point becomes too much for anything passing by. You use multiple points and the suction pressure is dispersed a bit which is why I found it odd for a powerhead like a vortech to suck in fish having such a wide suction area. :)

I agree it is not the pump, have you ever swam in the ocean, the surge in the reef is much stronger than your pump and fish are not constantly being bashed against the reef. Most healthy fish should have no problem.

I had a small lepoard wrasse swim around both my vortechs alot and it seemed to be ok with the amount of suction. I was worried, but never did have a problem.

Yep... no way it is the MP40W. I have two and even at full power do not pull health fish. This is alarming though... please check your water params! Something is not right but it is not your powerheads.

My long nosed hawk fish used to sit on my MP 20 at full speed I understand it's not the 40, but vortech wouldn't be now marketing the new MP 60 if their pumps were killing fish in aquariums across the world.

Back