Vorteck pump VS. wave rotation device or a wave box for SPS system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mike1441

I am rebuilding my system as SPS system. The cost is somewhat matter, but really the long-term health, and growth is more important. So what would you recommend as of water flow in my system. The dimensions are 5 foot long by 26H and 24W. Vertech pumps, wave rotation device, or a wave box?

Last edited:
Wavy sea or Sea swirls are great devices to mount PH to. You can't beat the random flow that combination creates. The Vortech are also great and move a ton of water and has some neat features to alter your flow but still a strait push and pull in one direction. I am utilizeing both these applications in my 270g tank. When I had the tank full for a breif hour or so before the crack I was able to see what type of water movement the combo created and there was alot of random water movement there was no dead spot I can see.

Hello,
SPS corals do best is alternating flow in 3-12 second pulses from different directions. Using a pulsing type pump (for example, Vortec, Tunze) in conjunction with a rotating device (Sea Swirl) is one cost effective way to accomplish this. If the devices are set at 90 degree angles to each other it will also create very random flow as the rotating device bisects the pulsing device.

HTH,
Kevin

CL using sequence barracuda OM 4-way and much PVC along with locline fittings and uinion ball valves 5500GPH/250+ watts roughly $1000

Two vortechs with wave controller and battery backup
6000GPH 36?watts, $999.95 from marine depot
Tunzes packages are comparable in price and wave controllabilty to the vortechs.

The way I see it, roughly 6000GPH with wave making costs around $1000. Its all about the in tank look you want the elctrical saving of the powerheads is appealling.

I have a combo CL accompained with a few key powerheads.

the 4 way could eat up some sps tissue if it is directed straight at them. the 4 way rotates every 30 seconds to me that is too long of time, I have to move the coral or redirect the water flow, I really do not like doing that after spending that kind of cash. the vortechs have 3 to 12 second pulses sounds much better with 1/8 or less the work.

Anyone have experience with the vortech sps? If yes, how close do you have the sps to the pump?

Mike you should invest in a vorTech! I recently picked one up and im very happy with it! If I were to go another route it would be a closed loop! You can place the vorTech anywhere in your tank thats the beauty of it! If you decide to upgrade you can get another and make it your slave! I'm using reef crest thats the mode everyone uses for sps!

Anyone have experience with the vortech sps? If yes, how close do you have the sps to the pump?

I have a MP20 in my 40b and it is on reef crest mode. Some of my corals that is directly in its path gets battered all day and night and I don't see it doing them any harm. Granted it is not at full speed all the time but the SPS in its path gets the brunt of it.

The SPS that are from 8-14" in front of my MP20 are growing better than without it. granted there was a lack of flow before, hense the addition of the powerhead. I also have a stag that grows within a quarter of an inch of the housing itself. Just not directly in front of it. Take a look at page 11 of my build thread for a closer look at the vortech placement in realtion to the hawkins etc. Pics were just updated.

FWIW, the OM 4-way (AFIAK all OM motors rotate at this speed) rotates one RPM. Each nozzle gets 15 seconds wide open. With loc line nozzles that are fully adjustable, you can avoid blasting directly at any one coral. Or better yet, built with a manifold so there are eight or so nozzles, you can really get some flow down into the nooks and crannies of the rock work.
Dont get me wrong, Im not a total CL advocate, I have both in my tank. Six powerheads totalling over 7000GPH and a CL pushing another 5500GPH. Mostly the way you go depends on the look your trying to achieve. I dont like alot of clutter from six big old powerheads in order to get near 15000GPH

LOL Nowadays, I have six small ones.

Last edited:
Here is a couple of pics of the vortech in my tank. You can see it is only inches away from the corals and they look pretty happy. Also too I included pics of my Wavy Sea and tunze combo I rigged up. No wires in the tank!(Thanks for the tip Adam). I will be running two of these one with a Tunze 6060 stream and one with Tunze 6100 stream. I will also have a 6101 stream w/ controller hidden in the back corner to keep the back of the tank "flushed" in juction with 2 Vortech MP40 on opposite end of each other. I will have about 16000gph. With a total of 5 pumps and the return. You barley notice the PH being there. It is all preference. Although it would be cheaper to do CL compared to my flow set-up.
Any how heres the pics.

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

The spray paint won't release toxins into the water?

If it did, I think my little 5.5g occupants would have been dead by now. I used a krylon plastics paint on the dividers for the fuge/return. It's been running fine now for about a month and a half or so.

roscoe, black krylon is used by alot of people in the hobby. I've never heard of any ill affects

Back