Want feedback guy's??????????????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Umm, I wouldn't go that route. On a tank as deep as yours, those aren't gonna do much for you. For the price of 2 of those, if you could come up with another 150.00 you could get that 72" fixture I posted earlier and you could have almost whatever you want in your tank.

Too bad it doesn't give dimensions. I don't think it's going to give you enough coverage, front to back. It's only 4 bulbs deep. Check out reefgeeks for retrokits. I think you could get much better coverage with a retrofit kit. Even going 48" bulbs that overlap in the center. This would give you more light intensity in the center for higher light demanding corals. Especially if you were to build an island of rock in the center.

Well what I found on reefgeek was ok but u are still only 4 deep..That would save me 45 dollars and end up with another redneck wire hack job!Looking for the clean look .

I wish I had the money for that l.o.l. I am going to get two 48in setups from kevs It is the best I can do for now I wont have any$ to add to the sell of m.h. at this time I would wait but the wifes patientce with the heat wont!!!So I hope it will be enuff I will just run them 12-14 hr till they adjust!

well if anything I can add more later on?But I am waiting to hear back from hank ,He wants the m.h...I would keep but my sps tank wont be for a couple years so off these m.h. go!

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why not PC's? Ive heard theyre like gods gift to aquariums or something. We have a 46g "bow-back" (yeah) so its 36" long and we've been agonizing over what lighting to do. Weve heard PC's (which we have130w of now on 24") and t5's. but its hard to get a medium wattage, 5-6 wpg. its either 4 or 10. Weve got softies in there, so i dont wanna blast em out.....

Put it this wa y right now I have 400 watt x 4 on there with vho's 6ft ..l.o.l. u are not going to kook them I should have a tank full of sps not lps with this set up but with the easy lost on the sps I willl stick with the lps..But the problem Is the depth and the coverage and the par reaching the bottom..look at my pics i have coral at all depth..just worried if these lights go I will be up &*it crick if what i get doesnt work..!

Jag, you've heard wrong. PC's are one step up from the compact fluorescent you put in a lamp. If you just plan on going with softies, what you have will suffice. If you want to get into lps and sps, get some t5's. Either Tek's or a Nova extreme pro.

Vw, on your tank, you'll probably be kicking yourself with pc's. Move everything you have up into the upper half of your tank and you should be fine, but I certainly wouldn't be putting anything that needs light on the sand. You're right, your old setup was overkill, but now you've gone to the other side of the spectrum.

Jag, I'll agree, you've heard wrong. PC or Compact Fluorescent (same thing) are the absolute minimum in reef lighting. T5Ho put out more light, run much cooler, are cheaper bulbs to replace and will cost you less to run. They also won't burn up your softies, but will allow you to keep LPS and even most SPS corals.

Ooohhh, so what do u use sid? i know in this everything is so much based on indiv tanks, but, how do U decide what to get?

For the benefit of Will, I'll answer, but if possible, start a different thread so Will's request for feed back on this thread doesn't get too cluttered up.

The first link you provided is to a MH fixture on Ebay that has a notorious reputation. The fixture has a single MH bulb, which won't give as much coverage as you need. It's NOT UL listed, which sends up red flags immediately. A lot of the MH fixtures found on Ebay have weak ballasts which won't even provide enough power and "under drive" the bulb. For instance, a 250MH bulb might only burn at 180 watts. I'd check out reefgeek.com for reliable T5 fixtures at a decent price. I'd also recommend doing LOTS of research on lighting before making a purchase. Hope that helps.

Oh and your second link takes me to a page that doesn't show any particular fixture to comment on.

I run a Tek5 T5HO fixture with 6 bulbs. I decided on this fixture after doing A LOT of research into lighting.

Back