Water change and skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

floydpackard

I am starting a new tank. This is my first experience. I have dry rock (BRS eco rock) and "live sand". I have had a couple of raw shrimp in the tanks. My question is when I do a 10% water change I turn off the skimmer until the water change is done. When I turn the skimmer back on it over foams for over an hour or more then settles down. Is that normal? After it settles down it does not produce much and no color to the skimate per say.

Tank info
-running phosban and GAC
-running biopellets
-93 gal main tank
-65 gal frag tank
-40 gal sump
-ATB 840 skimmer
-Had 3 shrimp in the tank until dissolved going on 3 weeks now. No lights
-amonia 0
-nitrites .2
-nitrates 1.0

Thanks for any help
Floyd

Your skimmer could be starting in reverse. Also depending on how new the skimmer is it may not be "broke-in" yet.

When I started my 60g I did a 10% water change after two weeks and after the 3 mo mark I stared doing a 10% every week it hasworked good for me

I am starting a new tank. This is my first experience. I have dry rock (BRS eco rock) and "live sand". I have had a couple of raw shrimp in the tanks. My question is when I do a 10% water change I turn off the skimmer until the water change is done. When I turn the skimmer back on it over foams for over an hour or more then settles down. Is that normal? After it settles down it does not produce much and no color to the skimate per say.

Tank info
-running phosban and GAC
-running biopellets
-93 gal main tank
-65 gal frag tank
-40 gal sump
-ATB 840 skimmer
-Had 3 shrimp in the tank until dissolved going on 3 weeks now. No lights
-amonia 0
-nitrites .2
-nitrates 1.0

Thanks for any help
Floyd

This is common just leave the skimmer off for an hour or two after a water change. It may get better after the tank ages some.

Don

I do a 10% water change on my 50 gallon reef once a week (not to mention the gallon per day of RO water I use to top off due to evaporation). My reef is stable for the past 6 months now. No loss in life, only lost one anemone.

My water change is with 100% RO water and Oceanic Salt.

ReefJeff

Back