Water Change from Hell

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Klatuso

So, I have been lazy with my water changes and finally after a month or so I decided to do a "simple" change. First mistake; forgot to shut off my ATO. The tube fell out of my HOB skimmer to the carpeted floor. Consequences are obvious here. Then I'm not pleased with how my water is clearing up so I plug in my Marineland HOB microfilter but it doesn't work. Spent an hour plugging and unplugging, disassembling and reassembing. I've got a fan blowing on my carpet (maybe a gallon or two of water on the floor behind my tank) and I've got my 80 dollar filter sitting useless in 5 gallon bucket. Chaulk it up to "pilot error" and equipment failure.

Yeah I hate water changes. It seems every time I unplug my mag 5 pump and when I get ready to turn everything back on the pump never turns on. I have to for some strange reason unscrew it and that the propeller out. Then I get to put it back together and hopes it kicks back on. Usually does.

A similar thing happened to me. At another water change I shut my ATO off (I remembered) and I shut my Ecotech MP20 off and it wouldn't go back on. Had to send it back. The service people were good. Water changes are a very dangerous time.

View attachment 34100OH BOY! I get to do ANOTHER water change today. Changing 15 gal. out of a 55. The time before last (about 3 weeks ago) I did the same amount and lost a turbo snail but didn't find out till 1 and a half weeks later :eek:. There are few thinks that smell that rank!!!! Needless to say I did a 10 gal. water change and new charcoal after THAT discovery!

This is after no water changes for many months.....not :cool:(cool). The tank is already starting to look a tiny bit better after those two recent changes.

Back