Water Storage tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

A plumber friend of mine has offered me some large (55-60g) plastic tanks that they have sitting around the shop...the catch is they used to have anti-freeze in them:eek:

Is there any way I can make these useable for RO/DI and saltwater storage?? Will bleaching them and leaving them out in the sun (UV) do the trick or should I not bother??

Opinions--thanks

I use brand new Rubbermade trash cans that hold about 30gal. They only cost me about $10 for the both of them or something like that (it's been a while). I just wouldn't feel safe putting water for any use in a something knowing that it once held some chemical like anti-freeze

I agree, just wouldn't feel safe with the other chemicals in the container. I once was given a 55g drum that help detergent, decided against it.

I use 96g Rubbermaid Trash cans with wheels. They work well and have flat surfaces for easier BH mounting, but they do bow a bit!

Sorry Mike, but I have 96 GALLON Rubbermaid cans with wheels. Bought them at Lowe's.

Here is a pic of them:

backside4%20051906.jpg

For comparrisson, the skimmer is 7' 4" tall and that is a standard SS table.

I never thought those ones (96 gallon size) would hold say 70 gallons long term.
I may switch to that instead of what I am using (1 50 gallon tank and 1 smaller trash can)

come on Mike, what kind of reefer are ya? :D Aren't you going to ask for measurements and use a tank calculator to figure out it only holds 94.6 gal?? :lol: just kidding of course.

plack: I figure I am getting around 75g out of my water changes, maybe slightly less. I originally bought them for when I got my tank, it came with 250 lbs. of rock. I brought the two Toters along and fill them each about half way with rock and water, and made the trip back home. They worked really well but again, I cannot over-emphasize, they do bulge. I have had them in service for almost a year, and I think long-term I will try to replace them. However, buying a replacement vessel to hold the same amount of water in the same footprint is very expensive.

In the pic you can see the wooden stand for the upper one. Here's why:

bent%20table.jpg

Damn thing was too heavy for the SS table and came down one day dropping about 90g on the floor and taking a piece off the skimmer. And how retarded am I? I still haven't strapped that bad boy in!! :rolleyes:

The freight calculator isn't working for me....what did it cost to ship? Thx, D

I didnt pay I got a deal on a cancelled order. It should have been $87 to my business address. I think its a little more for residential.

Don

For comparrisson, the skimmer is 7' 4" tall and that is a standard SS table.

Did you borrow that thing from the Georgia Aquarium?

:eek: HOLY CRAP! :eek:

Back