Weird blisters on my Montipora and Stylo's, Pics.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Whiskey

I have a problem specifically with my Monties and Stylo's, the tissue in some areas, on some peices is blowing up like a balloon!

Specs, 125G SPS tank W/ 2* Tunze 6100 for flow on wave maker.

Mag = 1300
Alk = 10 Dkh
CA = 430 Ppm
Temp = 80-81 on a controller
N03 = undetectable
P04 = undetectable
PH = 8.05-8.4 by a monitor

All tests Salifert.

Instant ocean salt. Perams maintained by DIY 2 part on an autodoser.

100_8964.jpg

100_8962.jpg

100_8961.jpg

What do you think is going on?

Thanks,
Whiskey

Hey Whiskey!! Just wanted to say welcome to RF. Great to have you here.

Brian

Sorry I can't help with the blisters.:(

It has been reported in a few of my customers tanks. I'm unsure of what the cause might be. It doesn't appear to be harmful to the coral and goes away in time.

Regards,
Kevin

Hey Whiskey!! Just wanted to say welcome to RF. Great to have you here.

Brian

Sorry I can't help with the blisters.:(

What's up? Thanks for the welcome! I'm afraid I can't place the name though,... What do you go buy at the board you recognize me from? Or better yet, since I'm so bad with names,... what is your avitar? :D

Thanks,
Whiskey

It has been reported in a few of my customers tanks. I'm unsure of what the cause might be. It doesn't appear to be harmful to the coral and goes away in time.

Regards,
Kevin

I have been keeping a very close eye on this (Odviousally) and paying special attention to my weekly tests.

One thing I never test, and I'm stupid for not testing, is my Salinity. Randy's 2 part adds salt,... I knew that, but yet the last time I tested my salinity (Per my log) was 2 or 3 months ago.

Most of my corals didn't seem to mind the salinity of 1.032.

I've corrected this now, but the situation has not changed, most of the bubbles have popped now, leaving a fleshless spot where they were, but there is still one I am watching.

Whiskey

whiskey, wait until casey finds out you a leading a double life!

You I recognize! (Nice Avitar :D) What's up man?

Not much of a double life, I have been registered since Nov 2005 and not made a single post. I don't even remember signing up, or anyone telling me about this place,.. but oh well I'm here now.

Whiskey

Not much. I come here to read, lots of great info on this forum and some well known pros in the hobby post here

Not much. I come here to read, lots of great info on this forum and some well known pros in the hobby post here

I am going to spend some time looking around. It seems like I spend my life in search of good info, a rather boring, but worthwhile quest I think.

I've posted the pics of my blisters all over the place, and it seems that most people say that it happens then goes away, hopefully the same will happen for me.

Whiskey

I mix my water changes up at 1.024 because of the buildup from dosing so much. My tank target is 1.025 but usually just before a water change it's 1.026- 1.027. My tanks with less/smaller corals don't have that problem (yet :D ).
High salinity may have been the cause. The corals should recover in a few weeks. Please be sure to update us if they quickly recover.

Regards,
Kevin

Indeed I will, Thanks for your help.

I think I finally have my doser working right, I found that if you want the check valves in your autodoser to work properly you need to filter your DIY supps through a coffie filter, otherwise the small amount of undesolved "Junk" will clog your check valves and prevent proper pumping.

Some random pics for the heck of it :)

100_8383.jpg

100_8380.jpg

100_8382.jpg

100_8375.jpg

Whiskey

What's up? Thanks for the welcome! I'm afraid I can't place the name though,... What do you go buy at the board you recognize me from? Or better yet, since I'm so bad with names,... what is your avitar? :D

Thanks,
Whiskey

You had helped me a bunch over at TRT with some demensions on an MRC-2. I may have even encourged you to sign up here to check out the DIY thread I never started:( . It sounds about the right time frame. I go by mungus on TRT but post very little there. I think my avatar may have been a packer helmet.

Hope you enjoy your stay!!!
BTW your tank looks great!!!

Brian

Last edited:
You had helped me a bunch over at TRT with some demensions on an MRC-2. I may have even encourged you to sign up here to check out the DIY thread I never started:( . It sounds about the right time frame. I go by mungus on TRT but post very little there. I think my avatar may have been a packer helmet.

Hope you enjoy your stay!!!
BTW your tank looks great!!!

Brian

Aah, now I remember. Since becoming Mod over there I deal with so many people all the time that it tends to mush together.

How's your tank doing? Everything working?

Thanks!
Whiskey

BTW, how do you like the new Avitar? This was donated by someone who finally got fed up with the other more "holsum" Bo Peep avitar I had for ever. I also have "Super Bo Peep" I use at TRT now that's perty slick.

Whiskey

How's your tank doing? Everything working?

It is doing all right. I never finished the skimmer. It's just about done but 3 kids in 4 years has consumed most of my free time.:lol: I bought a skimmer for time being. I have a bunch of needed equipment on its way as a xmas present to my fish and coral. Once I get that and put in a dedicated day or two on the tank it should be in really good shape. Maybe then I won't be to embarrased to post some picts.:lol:

Love the avitar BTW

Thanks
Brian

Good, I'm glad it's working out. I hear you about the free time though. At least you have a working skimmer anyway, DIY or not.

Let me know when you throw the pics up,
Whiskey

Back