Well no fire can keep me down!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

forsaken541

Well I have decided that I cant get rid of the tank even after the fire under the stand. Insurance has been good to me and is paying for a new set up so I have decided to go for it. The new tank is on order from Kevin at Aquatic Dreams and I am starting the stand construction right now. Ive always wanted to do one of these threads so I I will put up everything and pics for everyone. Those type threads helped me alot in deciding how and what to do in the past so I hope this is good for the same type help.
Erik

Was just wondering if this article was pertaining to said event.. read this a while ago..

Aquarium equipment overheats, causes fire
November 3, 2007

Equipment for a tropical-fish aquarium caused a power strip to overheat and catch nearby items on fire, starting a basement blaze in a northwest Spokane home Friday morning.

The aquarium broke and crashed to the floor, killing the fish and waking up the only resident at home about 7:50 a.m., according to a Spokane Fire Department report. He escaped from 3928 N. Elm St.

Eighteen firefighters were able to knock down the fire in about 15 minutes and limit most of the damage to the basement. However, the main floor sustained heavy smoke damage, the report states

Just for some input...
My business sees a lot of fire causing items brought in for x-ray to see which wire did what. we see drills, battery chargers, power cords, but mostly we see melted outlet strips that started fires brought in. They are typically the cheap ones and were overloaded with way too many plugs.
On my new system I am wiring in a marine panel (actually two). I have a 30 amp dedicated line from my breaker box (it is actually for a freezer). It connects to the marine panel which has a main breaker, a meter for line voltage and three 15 amp breakers. One breaker goes to a set of outlets on my workbench, the second breaker goes to a 12 volt circuit (which powers my panel backlights and a small 12v pump), the third break goes to another panel with 8 rocker switches that power everything on my sump (skimmer, main pump, heaters, etc). I just like the peace of mind of safe electrical

Last edited:
Nope that was not us thank goodness. My fire was contained to the stand of the tank only and really caused mostly smoke damage, which was a ton. The old tank was done kinda piece meal with w 90 galllon non drilled tank and a hang on the back overflow (which failed and spilled the water into the power strip).

The new tank will be a 120 gallon reef ready system with a 30 gallon sump to house the heater, skimmer, batch of chaeto and the 2 Mag 12 return pumps for flow.

The stand will be made of a 4x4 frame faced with oak. As you can see in the pictures below, I half lapped the top and bottom parts of the frame for strength. Ill post more when I have it.

Erik

Looks nice, just wondering if your going to be putting the sides on top of the bracing on the bottom or stacking along its sides. Also when you need some of that chaeto let me know if you want some for free... getting a ton of it in my 55 fuge.

Well the plan is to have it all faced up with nice looking Oak on three of the four sides leaving the back open. The top will have a piece of 3/4 inch plywood on it and the base will also have a 3/4 inch base put in to set the sump on. I am also going top paint the whole inside with an Oil Based white paint.

Thank for the offer, I will contact you on the chaeto for sure!
Erik

Looks nice, just wondering if your going to be putting the sides on top of the bracing on the bottom or stacking along its sides. Also when you need some of that chaeto let me know if you want some for free... getting a ton of it in my 55 fuge.

Well here is the inside base just about done. Still need 1 more coat of paint but then its on to the facing. The entire inside is painted with Rustoleum White paint to help with any potential moisture problems and is going to be bullet proof as far as strength is concerned being all 4x4 construction.
Here are some more pics.
Erik

Well I have a question because I have seen some others put down a layer of foam insulation on their sheet of plywood, under the tank. I am wondering
1. What is the purpose for the foam?
2. Is this a necessary addition and should I add it?

Also I should be able to pick up the tank on friday this next week and I plan on having the stand done by then. I am going to still be a bit worn out from my chemo treatment on tuesday, is there anyone that would be able to help me get the tank inside and onto the stand?

Erik

Well here are the two side panels made. They still need to be sanded and stained. The rails are 2.5 inch Oak board and the center is 1/4 inch Oak panneling. I will probably be going with a dark stain to match some of the other furniture downsatirs where the tank will be. Enjoy!
Erik

Pretty sure most people use the foam for a 2 fold reason, insulation and the fact it can compress evenly unlike wood which can compress at different rates at different spots which can cause stress cracks in acrylic tanks. Also if its on the weekend I could give you a hand if you wanted.

Correct, you just need to support the edges on a glass tank less it doesnt have the bracing on it like the newer tanks do. Go over to barbies sometime she has lots of stands sitting around with tanks on them, look at the stands, you will notice that there isnt even a top on them and just edging that supports the edges of the tanks.

Last edited:
With a glass tank, all that's needed is for the bottom plastic frame to be supported. Even with a sheet of plywood on the top of the stand, only the plastic frame at the bottom of the tank will come in contact with the plywood. A sheet of foam would help with leveling though. If the stand, or floor is out of level, once the tank is filling with water, the foam would compress, which would help level the tank. It's very critical for the tank to be perfectly level, otherwise, it will put undo stress on the silicon joints.

Foam? I would imagine 1/2 would be plenty unless your floor/stand is way out. And thats home insulating foam also, Home depot carries it. Maybe Sid could correct me if im wrong.

Thanks, I think I might try and finr 1/4" stuff so that I dont loose my tank stand orverlap. It is designed with a 1/2"overlap but I can fill up 1/4 with the foam and then increase the size of the moulding once I see how the tank levels out.
Erik

1/4" should be just fine. Talk to Kevin about the foam. I know he recently got a lot for his BEAST, although it's acrylic. He can give you more information about the whys and hows of using it. I'm sure you could pick it up at Home Depot or Lowes. By the way, when do you plan on moving the tank in? If I'm available, which I think I will be, I'd be happy to stop by and give you a hand. I'm sure I could drag my brother along too if we need the extra bodies. What part of town are you in?? PM me details when available. Make sure you let all of us local reefers know when you're ready to start repopulating. I've been blessed by lots of wonderful reef gifts from other reefers and enjoy paying it forward!! I'm sure there's lots of others in the area who feel the same way. In fact, I know several who are!!

Thanks man, I live in the Valley around Pines and 24th and I hope to be moving the tank inside probably Saturday as I still have to finish the stand. And thanx for the repopulation stuff too. I do still have some things I can trade some of but I did loose my candy cane, frogspawn and a couple others, but my shrooms and toadstool have done remarkably well. Talk to ya soon,
Erik

Back