What are these polypie looking things

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wchill

Octopi
My reef tank is about 2 years old now. I started with live rock. These little round flat critters with polyp looking appendages started growing on their own after about 8 months ago. They would usually stay about a quarter of an inch in size but they are growing bigger now. WHat are they and are they a problem. :help:

Attachments

• polyp looking critters.jpg
    polyp looking critters.jpg
    43.6 KB
Oh dear, that looks like majano to me :-/ They are considered a pest anemone. I have a few in my tank that have split maybe once, but don't cause me any trouble, so I've left them.

Majano has many different forms. I would do a google image search and see if any of those pics match yours. It's hard to say for sure that's what it is since the picture is with flash and not tank lights, but if they are green or dusty pink in color, it is probably majano.

i agree with saltwater noobs, i would try and kill them before they take over the tank! good luck keep us posted

WEll, I think they have a pretty good start on my tank n ow. At first I thouyght they were interesting because they had started on their own from the live rock but now they are throughout my tank. How do you recommend I get rid of them. Get in there and scrape each one?

Those look like aptasias to me, and no do not scrape them off. Hard to tell from the pic. Could be majano
Getting rid of them can be a difficult chore.
There are several ways of dealing with them.
You could try one of the store bought remedies, like aptasiax or joes juice. I'm sure there are others. I've used a thick slurry of kalkwasser powder and water, applyed with a plastic syringe.
Another is bergia nudibranchs and also there are a few fish that might eat them.
Matted file fish seems to be the current popular fish.

I always enjoy using boiling RO water and a large syringe. Put it right on them and blast them away. Then after you push all of the water out use it to suck them out with out moving it.

I read somewhere to use a medium syringe and inject them with Liquid Calcium. Not sure if it works...but it does sound gratifying.

FRom another forum, it was suggested to use boiling water through a syringe. I tried that and it appears to have killed them deader than the perverbial "door nail"! This was a great suggestion. You don't have to use the pickeling lime paste and no worries about getting the paste on to another species.

Back