What camera do you use?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a Nikon Coolpix 880. There are times when I love it and times when I hate it. The lag time in between pressing the button and actually having the shutter click has caused many a missed picture. I can't argue with its macro capabilities.
Great thread since I'm in the market for a new camera (at the moment anyway ;)). Here are a few of the better shots that make me love my camera. I won't post the pics that make me hate it :razz:

88redbugssmall-med.jpg

88awesomezoossmall-med.jpg

88starfishmacrosmall-med.jpg

88xmasworm2.jpg

Christy :)

How is the battery on the G3???

I've got a question about the canon G3. I've had a canon camera before and the life of the battery was horrible. We went through 3 batteries w/ all the same situation. How is the battery on the G3??? it always seemed on my other camera we were buying batteries every few months like it was planned by canon so that you need to upgrade cameras all the time...

the Canon batteries are incredible. I've owned a G2 and a 20D... using the same old (and I mean old!) batteries... getting 700-1000 shots per battery. Travelling to several cities monthly, I can shoot all weekend long on 1-2 batteries. I've never used my 3rd battery even on week long trips. They are outstanding.

BTW... even with my remote flash (420), I still get upwards of 600 images.

I haven't had to replace the battery yet on my G3, which I started using december of 2003. I just charge it as needed.

90OcReef said:
I've got a question about the canon G3. I've had a canon camera before and the life of the battery was horrible. We went through 3 batteries w/ all the same situation. How is the battery on the G3??? it always seemed on my other camera we were buying batteries every few months like it was planned by canon so that you need to upgrade cameras all the time...

Never had an issue with any cannon batteries. which type are you looking at?
The canon G2 I have had for over 3 years now has never needed a battery replaced yet. This is the same battery used in my Canon 20D camera and they are rechargeable.
If you are tossing the battery when it needs recharging then please just send them to me and I will do some testing on them :cool:

Canon BP-511 or Canon BP-511A
Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Compatible with Canon ALL EOS SLR's 20D, 10D, D60, D30, Pro90 IS, G1, G2, G3 and G5 models

humm, i missed this thread

i have the fuji finpix S7000

one thing i have learned, it isnt the cam it is really the user
i bought a "ok" cam thinking i was just going to pic it up and take some pics, boy was i wrong, lol

but practice makes it better, examples

Jay

Nautilus-
The camera that i have is a canon S20 (piece of crap, IMO)... We've gone through 3 batteries and we cant even take 3 pictures with out the battery dieing.... I dont know what's going on. Maybe it is a faulty camera, but definately JUNK!! Lol...

-Jess

90OcReef said:
Nautilus-
The camera that i have is a canon S20 (piece of crap, IMO)... We've gone through 3 batteries and we cant even take 3 pictures with out the battery dieing.... I dont know what's going on. Maybe it is a faulty camera, but definately JUNK!! Lol...

-Jess
Hey there are lemons everywhere, and would think it would be the camera for sure as the battery is just a power storage device. If you still have your manual see what the life of the batteries are suppost to be and let us know.
Does this camera use re-chargeable batteries?

If this is a new camera thake it back and upgrade.
Have you talked with canon support about this?

This camera does use a rechargeable battery. And when you go buy a new battery - they're not cheap and you have to buy both that battery and the charger together. They dont just sell the battery. We've had this camera for about 2 years of so. It was just a poor choice of equipment i suppose.

90OcReef said:
This camera does use a rechargeable battery. And when you go buy a new battery - they're not cheap and you have to buy both that battery and the charger together. They dont just sell the battery. We've had this camera for about 2 years of so. It was just a poor choice of equipment i suppose.

Most come with kits now days where the battery and charger come with it.
If not you can get a KIT for $70 bucks that has the battery and Carry Bag and a memory card, All this for the same price of the memory card or there about.

I bought a new camera today ;) It's the canon G3, has the Telephoto lens and the wide angle lens along with a 256mb card and a few other extras for $315. If i am not satisfied with the camera I can send it back to the girl for a full refund.. Sound like a good deal???

wonderful deal... and a wonderful camera.

Do invest in the close up "lens" (diopter... 250/500D) for it as well is you want to shoot corals and small reef inverts. (note... spend the extra money to get the "D" series lenses... reg/ 250/500 are cheaper quality):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

do a key phrase search for "canon closeup lens" at the site

its still a good deal, but note that the 52 and 58 mm articles are "adapters"... and not lenses. You need these threaded "hoods" to be able to use close up lenses like I recommend above. But they are not lenses themselves.

The entire G series of Canon cameras is simpy fabulous. They are the best prosumer cameras for aquarium hobby use IMO before taking the plunge into better (but 3X $) digital SLRs.

Back