What camera do you use?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've never had much luck shooting tank shots with a polarizer on, although I suspect part of that is due to light diffraction through my bowfront.

I'd be curious as to some other photo geek's experiences with a polarizer.

-Dylan

You bet. My rule with filters, especially with digital, if unless I know I need it, I probably don't. Polarizers are essential for outdoor shooting in sunlight in many environments, but really its about the only filter I use regularly.

This applies particularly with the UV and "haze" filters, which are redundant on digital cameras since the CCDs and lenses have a fair bit of UV protection already built into them. Lens surfaces don't scratch easily in this day and age, and do you really want a $10 chunk of glass in front of your several hundred to several thousand dollar optics? The optics in the lens cost that much for a reason, don't degrade them with a crappy Uv filter. =)

-Dylan

I think i will just stick with the 500d close up lens for the camera. Tha's probably my best bet for now. The new camera came today so i am going to have to hurry up and get the close up lens. I dont really have any coral to photograph yet but i took a picture of my crabs mating the other day. Kinda neat? lol Well thanks again for all the input.

-Jessica

Cheers, Jess

If you make it to any of the local or regional fish shows... do bring your camera along and I'll be happy to give you a crash course. Seeing you are MD state... I travel to a lot of our local (I'm PA) club meetings.

I'll be in Philly and Long Island next month (April 16th and 17th)... also stopping by That Fish Place (Lancaster) along the way and again in June... or is it July? :p

Best of luck :)

Anthony

Sure Anthony, i've actually never been to any fish shows or any reef meetings yet so i guess you gotta start somewhere. I'm afraid all these people will be talking to me and i wont have any idea what they are talking about. LoL, i am workin on getting some Xenia from a fellow reefer in timonium. That will be the start of coral in my tank. I have a pc orbit on my 29 gallon so i dont think there are too many really fancy corals that i can keep alive under that light. We'll see. Thanks for the invite!!

-Jessica

Last edited:
Canon EOS 5D 12.8 Megapixels.... 24-70mm Macro Zoom Lens. Some shots with swimming fish I use a Canon ring flash taped onto the the lens, ya gotta be careful if you have a direct reflecton of the flash so you need to be at an angle. For still shots of rocks and reef I use a sturdy Gitzo tripod. I try and always shoot at ISO 100 and use Phase One software to process the raw files.Adobe ACR works good too but I like the flexibility of C1 Pro.

and when I want to just take a picutre at the moment i use a point and click Power Shot G2.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50

Once i figure out how to link to my flickr photos I'll put some pics up. Im still learning this camera, I really need to use it more but so far Im quite impressed with it

470450291_250a0da78c_o.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some more taken with my Panasonic DMC-FZ50

The picture of the clam was taken with the lights off and the sun shining through the window with the blinds drawn.. I think it turned out to be a really nice pic...
505876022_bce4e1d115_o.jpg

496893948_94dd7e7688_o.jpg

465622418_f05cc78a46.jpg

Last edited:
Nikon D80 w/ Nikon 18-200mm VR lens & Sigma 105mm macro lens.
I'm still preparing my tank before I put fishes, etc into it.

Just upgraded from a Kodak Z760 P&S, with which most of my pics on RF were taken, to a Canon Rebel Xt (350D), kit lens and just purchased the Canon 50mm 1.8 Prime lens. I have very few pics on RF with the Canon as of yet, that'll change soon!! Still have a lot to learn about the camera. It's my first step into DSLR or anything SLR for that matter...lol. So far, I love it, especially this new 50mm 1.4 lens that was $74.99 new...lol.

Back