What color seaweed is best??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well, apart from LFS or online, another source of seaweed is Oriental grocery stores. Don't know if you've any of those near you but I imagine you could find some. Ask for Nori.

But nori is only green, at least at my local oriental food store.

And I still think this thread has left open the question as to whether or not one color/type is better than the other, or even if they should be mixed. Right now, I feed only green. My tangs (purple, naso, yellow, hippo) attack it savagely when I put it in the tank, and my clowns and chromis go after the scraps. Do I really need to worry about getting a different color? Particularly if my fish also eat mysis and chopped krill?

Do Purple Tangs eat this colored algae ? the only thing I ever feed is Mysis

yup...,.they are sea cows...lol theyre diet should consist of mainly algaes....they are prone to gettin lateral line disease.....from malnutrition.. IMHO, i personal wouldnt feed anything just mysis.....HTH

I agree. My purple came from a tank where it wouldn't eat algae on a clip. Now it devours green and purple algae on the clip. I feed the Sprung's veggies.

NeuroDoc - I would try tossing a different colored algae in the mix, just to allow your fish to get the most nutrition, especially the herbivores.

if any of you guys eat sushi, then you should know which ones taste good!!!:D :D

If you have a good local fish store ask them to get some live Gracilaria bursapastoris from their wholesaler. if they can't get it have them call me.

It is the live plant, not the dehydrated compressed sheet that they use for sushi. this is what tangs like to eat in the wild.

Back