What could it be!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

samier

Hi everybody.
I have discoverd some type of shell,clam growing on my live rock. I don’t have any pics so will descibe it to the best of my ability.It is stuck in a crevice so I can’t really see all around it.I am not familiar with clams so pls forgive me.It is the same colour as the rock which is like cement when dried a shade lighter though.Size is about 10mm.It looks like a nut shell. It opens on the side lightly then when a fish swims near it or gets disturbed it closes and pulls closer into the crevice.Could it be a small clam?It does not look like muscle shell. It almost looks like it is part of the rock almost like it camoflages with the rock.It definitely is alive. I hope the description will help. I will appreciate any input. Thanks.

there are many types of clams muscles and oysters that come in on live rock the size and color make it sound like a muscle but depending on where your rock came from it could be something different. I know I probably have 3 different types of little muscles/ clams on my rock all freebies. probably isnt worth breaking it off but they are good filter feeders for the tank.

Back