Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Tunzes

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • Sea Swirls

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other (add below)

Votes: 19 9.1%

• Total voters
Hey Brucey!!! Good to see you over here mate!
Tank looks great, I'vee seen your updates on the other site!
Nick

Brucey - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

Tank is looking awesome! What are its dimensions?

It's close buy I am guessing my return is about 2500gph and the three Seios only put out 620 each. I am thinking about uping the Seios to 1100gph but my softies are already moving around enough and I am pretty attached to them...or they are attached to the rock :)

i'm still learning so please bare with me :p ok.
i have never tried any of the other types of flow and i was wondering, what's the difference between all of them or should i say which one is better?
if there's such a thing

I got 2 Tunze 6060s for the new tank cant wait to try them out.

MINIATUS :D

Hi guys . . . . Max, Nikki. Thanks for the kind words and concerns over the bombings . . . . I'll PM you individually.

Nikki, the tank was moved from my old house where space was at a premium, so it's kinda long and narrow, which is a shame because I LOVE tanks with width too them. Hopefully to be remedied some time next year when my new tank project gets under way. The current dimensions are 84L x 24H x 18W. The new tank will be 168"L x 30"H x 36W. Lou has given the go ahead (you know how you have to get the other half's OK first), for it in principle and the wall is ready for it to be built into, but now I just have to find the finances . . .which is where the current issue's lie.

Brucey

Maxx, Why would you go with a MBV for a larger tank instead of the oceansmotions?? Oh yea, what do you mean by "larger"?? 100g, 200g, 300g??? ;) Thanks!

For my closed loop I am running a Dolphin 7500 thru a 2" MBV, discharging out of 2 sets of 7ea, 3/4 nozzels. The flow at each nozzel is 14 feet per second. This keeps everything stirred up good in the 240 gal tank.

Rick

i have a return manifold, tunze, and seaswirl for flow in the 150, thinking of a second pump for closed loop or another tunze ($$$$tho)

spongebob lover said:
i'm still learning so please bare with me :p ok.
i have never tried any of the other types of flow and i was wondering, what's the difference between all of them or should i say which one is better?
if there's such a thing

Gabriela - which one is better will be dependant on an individual basis. All can be great when placed and used correctly.

If you go to the first post of this thread, I have a link to the plumbing workshop, where you can learn about placement and plumbing design. I was a lost puppy (still am sometimes) about plumbing, until learning more about it, and I think I have a handle on it. I get to play with Tunzes today, so I'm excited to finally see these in action with my own eyes.

A closed loop is basically a loop of plumbing that takes water from the tank, and puts it right back in. It does not go to the sump, so in the event of a poweroutage, there isn't anything to worry about flood wise. There are many ways to design a closed loop. They can be over the tank, and not drilled, too. The plumbing workshop shows many different types of designs.

On my tank, the water is sucked into the pump and it goes through a motorized ball valve and out 4 ports into the tank......then several minutes later the motorized ball valve switches and goes to the other 4 ports.
Here is a shot of my tank from the back. The big thing in the center is the MBV (motorized ball valve). So you can see my water comes out of the tank by the plumbing on the right. Its the tube that doesn't attach to anything. That would go to the pump. From the pump, the water comes back up and into the MBV, then either to the left side (4 outputs) or the right side (4 outputs), depending on the ball valve.
41nikdrill4.jpg

and from the front:
4502plumb.jpg

For the option on Tunzes....here is a link to them. They seem really awesome:
Tunze Turbelle Stream

For the option on OceansMotions (OM), here is a link to the website. They also sell 1" and 1.5" locline (they call OmniFlex). There are several members that use an OM device. Maxx and Jlehigh to name a couple. Jlehigh I think has a movie in his tank thread.
OceansMotions

Finally the Sea Swirl. This is a rotating return unit that takes a return or output on the closed loop, and sweeps it across the tank slowly. I've been happy with the sea swirl on my return.
Sea Swirl

Hope this helps Gabriela. Let me know if I've confused you more, or if you need more clarification.

I voted other,i used a close loop with two penductors one at each end of the tank,best water flow for the money.

Iwaki MD55RLT pump with two penductors that is as big a pump as you need it move the water 6 ft across a 180 all glass tank. The water on surface the like the ocean with more then enough water down low. The best thing is the only moving part is in the pump.

The penductors are 4 in below the surface of the water. The flow moves down one side of the tank and back up other side.

Other

Ocean's Motions Wave Maker and closed loops with eductors to increase the flow output.

Back