What do you think of this tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcoomer

Who's your daddy?!?
I've been communicating with this guy about his tank and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it. I'm not real thrilled about the way it's drilled but I can work around that. I'm also not blown away by the stand. It looks like it's made from pretty light material but since I haven't seen it I'll reserve judgement and if I don't trust it I can have one made for it.

So, the story on the tank is that he bought it from a now defunct shop in Bend and he believes it's a Glass Caged tank. Anything in the pics that catches your eye as being a potential problem? Let me know what you think? I'd hate to get to Bend and find out that there is an obvious flaw in the tank.

Thanks,
Mike

I dont think I would worry about that stand. It looks like its 1 3/4" angle iron. If you really wanted to make it good you could just skin it with some good looking sheeting and there you go.

That does have the look of a GC tank, although I'm not sure about the black plastic corner strips; what's the point of clear silicone if you're going to cover it in black plastic. anyhoo...
I agree that the stand is probably plenty strong and there is a thread about fancy stands or something on that forum where at least one person used magnets to make nice looking panels that covered their metal stand.
What gets me is why they would've had the holes drilled the way that they did. Also, make them prove that there is enough space between those holes to accommodate all the bulkheads that will go in them; a 2.5" bulkhead has a huge footprint.
Another thing that I'm noticing is that because they put an extra vertical support on the two middle sections of the stand, they basically eliminated the possibility of getting a decent sump in there. That being said, in my opinion, that stand sucks and is not reef-friendly; you are really paying $700 for the tank. Just my opinion though, and I've had a few daddy babas.

Trying to check it out, but I think reef central hates me. Whenever I click on a link to go there, it says:

jrgilles, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Its been activated. when I follow the old activation email it says the account is already activated. Oh well, anyone seen this before?

rob

If it is in the for sale forum, you have to be a member for 90 days and have 50 posts

I was wondering about the holes also.
Why in the world would anyone do that?
It looks as if the orignal buyer had a plan for them, but I don't see it at all and honestly can't figure out how to deal with them.
Also is there extra glass or acrylic around each hole?

Yeah, I'm not digging those holes at all. I'm thinking that I could use the top one for a return and drill another on the other end for a second return. I use Vortechs so I don't need a closed loop and won't use the holes for that. If I buy the tank I suppose I'll simply silicone a piece of glass over them or cap them with bulkhead fittings. Put a center overflow in and the plumbing is done. I also wondered about the framing material on the corners and the lack of a frame on top. Assuming the corners are good I don't think it would be a big deal to pull that off and clean it up. I also think I'd put a frame around the top. Easy to do.

Now, for the stand. It may be plenty strong but I won't trust it till I see it. One thing that bothers me is that there are two supports running right down the middle which will keep me from being able to use a sump under the stand. As it happens though we have a friend on the site here that builds stands so if I get this tank, sell my old one, and sell the stand that comes with the tank I'll probably be covered.

Finally, the price. Dude is asking $700 for tank and stand. It's Starphire glass front and two sides and it's 6X2X2 which is really perfect for the space it will occupy. That will give me another 6" on the front and 12" in width. So, the tank works in that respect. I'll reuse all my gear so I won't have to buy too much for it. I'll need a canopy, maybe a new stand, and then I'll need to skin both. I've got a bunch of live rock in the garage just kickin it in a box so I've even got that covered.

So, I guess it might boil down to price. I sent a request for a quote to Miracles for a similar tank and hope to hear back from them tomorrow. I checked Glass Cages site and can get that tank for $837. That's with Starphire on three sides but not drilled and doesn't include shipping. Since this is probably a Glass Cages tank is a $137 discount a good deal. What's the verdict? One other thing I've got to consider. This purchase is probably going to have me sleeping on the couch for 3-4 weeks and will probably cost me a few dinners and nights out with the little woman bumping the total cost of the tank well into the thousands.

Mike

I think the stand might be a pain since it isn't going to hold a sump, etc.

Add in cost of driving to and from bend, sealing up the holes, which I guess is cheap, but it'll have a patch on it.
Probably has some scratches on it? Not sure i'd go for it.

You think 12" on the side is enough room? Not sure how you're pluming, but on the side of my tank I have the brain/electrical panels and ATO reservoir. Are you going to have room to reach behind the tank if things need fixing?

Add in the dinners and nights out, maybe not so good.

I guess it comes down to how much would it cost to get something shipped here, and any chance of picking it up locally. I see big tanks pop up in the for sale forums sometimes I think.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

rob

Well, my thoughts,,
the stand doesn't work for you,
the tank is used and not perfect.
I'd offer him $500 and he can keep the stand.
He's going to have a hard time selling that setup at that price, IMO.

And as far as the Miracles tank, it will be twice as much ( I'll bet), but it will be something that you would never regrete.

Plus I'd check all the local stores and see what the price of a RR 180 gallon tank is new. (with the holes in the right place).

I bought a 180 acrylic tank used about 3months ago, good looking stand/canopy, sump, plumbing, return, no lights, etc. for $750. I'd say check craigslist/here for a couple more months, took me sept>feb to find mine though in that time i got bought out of 3 tanks, passed on about 30 others in the 120+ gal range. If your willing to pay $700 for "just the tank" I'd wait for the craiglist/here deal cause you'll regret all the work/problems with that tank...

Well, my thoughts,,
the stand doesn't work for you,
the tank is used and not perfect.
I'd offer him $500 and he can keep the stand.
He's going to have a hard time selling that setup at that price, IMO.

And as far as the Miracles tank, it will be twice as much ( I'll bet), but it will be something that you would never regret.

Well, I got a reply from Miracles:

Hello Mike,
All edges machine polished
5/8" tempered bottom with 4 holes
2 internal black acrylic overflows
1/2" sides and ends
Starphire front and ends
Eurobraced, notched where overflows are located to allow access $ 1565.00 + $ 590.00 shipping, client is responsible for offloading the crate from the trailer, these are highway trailers that are 4' off the ground, it is challenging unless you have a loading dock, forklift or 4 strong guys. This includes the homeland security fee as well as a $ 35.00 brokerage charge, you can deduct $ 35.00 if you p/u at the depot in Kent.

$2155 shipped will have me on a slab and the wife looking at charges. So, in the interest of safety, mainly my own, that isn't going to happen. I think I may do what you said and offer $500 for the tank. At least get a dialog started. BTW...Miracles sent me a pic of what I requested except there is an extra overflow in the pic.

Mike

Yeah, I'm not digging those holes at all. I'm thinking that I could use the top one for a return and drill another on the other end for a second return. I use Vortechs so I don't need a closed loop and won't use the holes for that. If I buy the tank I suppose I'll simply silicone a piece of glass over them or cap them with bulkhead fittings. Put a center overflow in and the plumbing is done. I also wondered about the framing material on the corners and the lack of a frame on top. Assuming the corners are good I don't think it would be a big deal to pull that off and clean it up. I also think I'd put a frame around the top. Easy to do.

Now, for the stand. It may be plenty strong but I won't trust it till I see it. One thing that bothers me is that there are two supports running right down the middle which will keep me from being able to use a sump under the stand. As it happens though we have a friend on the site here that builds stands so if I get this tank, sell my old one, and sell the stand that comes with the tank I'll probably be covered.

Finally, the price. Dude is asking $700 for tank and stand. It's Starphire glass front and two sides and it's 6X2X2 which is really perfect for the space it will occupy. That will give me another 6" on the front and 12" in width. So, the tank works in that respect. I'll reuse all my gear so I won't have to buy too much for it. I'll need a canopy, maybe a new stand, and then I'll need to skin both. I've got a bunch of live rock in the garage just kickin it in a box so I've even got that covered.

So, I guess it might boil down to price. I sent a request for a quote to Miracles for a similar tank and hope to hear back from them tomorrow. I checked Glass Cages site and can get that tank for $837. That's with Starphire on three sides but not drilled and doesn't include shipping. Since this is probably a Glass Cages tank is a $137 discount a good deal. What's the verdict? One other thing I've got to consider. This purchase is probably going to have me sleeping on the couch for 3-4 weeks and will probably cost me a few dinners and nights out with the little woman bumping the total cost of the tank well into the thousands.

Mike

That is a good price on that tank! As far as getting a tank from glass cages to this state is tough. I tried with them for a year with no luck and then I found my current tank. They don't do tours here often. They will ship though but for the tank I wanted the shipping was almost the same price as the tank.

Back