what dose your wife/hubby say about your hobby

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just like most of you, I used to get the complaints about how much time I spend on the tank. It's coming up on three years now, and the tank is well established, and highly automated, so I spend far less time than I used to getting wet. Now it's the forums, especially my own club's forums, where I'm the president. I spend *A LOT* of time on the computer, I admit. It's so much fun just soaking up information. However, on the rare occasion we have some sort of drama event on our forums, I'm the one up until the wee hours, managing the people and being super moderator. It's just about ruined the hobby, to be honest.

But back on topic, I get a lot of support, but I make sure that I offer a lot back, and try as hard as I can not to make it one sided. She has a better eye for nice corals (She picked the Bennett Tort, and the only two fish I'll keep into the tank upgrade) and placement. Between her nice corals and my almost Krish-level-maintenance, the tank stays looking very nice. If not, I can't imagine what a strain the tank could be.

And my wife has better foresight, also. She knows whatever price I research out, it's fair game to exactly double it, due to hidden costs. The calcium reactor should have come out to around $250. Then there was all the plumbing and expensive needle valves, another pH probe for watching the effluent, and filling the CO2 bottle, etc.

Last edited:
I actually had to refrain from buying a new fish at the fish store today so my wife could get her hair done. She is getting tired of me spending all of our money on the tank and she doesn't get any. I also had to designate sundays as the day when I don't do anything with the tank, I can't even look at it. But if a fish emergency arises then I can mess with the tank. And yes I have snuck in livestock into the house with out her knowing. She gets mad when she finds out and if she ever comes to the fish store with me the guys have to act like they havn't seen me in a while. (even though I was there 2 days ago) I actually think she still is under the impression that I've only spent 250 bucks on everything when really it's more like 2,500. Oh well, it's best that she doesn't know, right? Naw j/k she enjoys the hobby, she even helped me save my tank when my sebae decided to commit suicide in my maxijet 1200 when I was at work. But she does have a problem with how much money I spend.

sounds like me......

she likes it as well.... but the money is the big thing..... TAx, bills, new cars, equipment for the house..... nope..... new lights, more rock... better this better that.....

its cool haveing a woman, that likes it (half as much) like i do

Wow, we all must shop at the same LFS where everything is $20. :). My fiance like the tank but as she says "it's too much time and money"

Wow, we all must shop at the same LFS where everything is $20.

LMAO!!! :lol: :lol: .

I spend *A LOT* of time on the computer, I admit. It's so much fun just soaking up information. However, on the rare occasion we have some sort of drama event on our forums, I'm the one up until the wee hours, managing the people and being super moderator. It's just about ruined the hobby, to be honest.

don't let it ruin the fun dood :) .... plus you can always log in here and laugh at me :D :p.

the 20$ frag tanks off limits.... she says "NO! over there" (as she points to the 10$ frag tank)

i put my head down, and walk slowly......

then while shes looking around.... i quick sneak to the 20$ one.... quick pick something, and then tell the kid to be shhhhhhhhhhh about it...

LOL

Yeah I often say $20, but 99% of the stuff at my LFS starts at $30+. Although since I spend so much he almost give it to me for less than it is marked. So the conversation goes "how much was that... Um $20.... but they don't sell anything for $20!?!.....yeah he gave me a deal!!!"

If it's something that cost like 80-100 I'll say 40 or 50 just to keep it reasonable.

Yeah I often say $20, but 99% of the stuff at my LFS starts at $30+. Although since I spend so much he almost give it to me for less than it is marked. So the conversation goes "how much was that... Um $20.... but they don't sell anything for $20!?!.....yeah he gave me a deal!!!"

If it's something that cost like 80-100 I'll say 40 or 50 just to keep it reasonable.

:lol: After 22 years of mine of putting up with my toys she doesnt even ask anymore. If she came home to the tank gone she might ask me what I'm replacing it with. Other than that I think she pretends to like it to humor and thinks it keep me busy and out of other trouble.

Don

My wife likes the hobby as much as I do after all she takes care of the tank for 2 months at a time while my ship is underway. I guess its safer than my freeride hobby where its lets see how much air I can pull this time. :)

My husband likes the way the tank looks, but gets a little jealous when I spend a lot of time on it, or on RF. I have hardly messed with my tank or been on RF lately... Bummer! Gotta fix that ASAP! :D

good point julia.i have a hard time staying away and when i do i miss all the good stuff.
we all seem to be all alike.

Brandon

My wife just loves the idea that i spend all of this money on the fish and corals and not on here :) :) :) :) No she likes it but its getting a little $$$$$ for her taste..

My wife loves my tank until I "need" more equipment. One week she is all for doing the future 400G in wall and the next she isnt. I keep telling here we have the equipment for one. We just need the tank. It will likely never happen.

Yea "about $20 works until you cough up your pieces of paper with the REAL amount on them. Then the "I thought it was 20 dollars" doesn't fly so well.

Yea my Tang looks good.

My wife loves my tank until I "need" more equipment. One week she is all for doing the future 400G in wall and the next she isnt. I keep telling here we have the equipment for one. We just need the tank. It will likely never happen.

Sure it will happen. Send her over here and I will have a talk with her. Then she'll be convinced that it is the right way to go! :D

Apparently, "acclimating corals, is no excuse to be late!"

:oops: I thought it was a pretty good one. :rolleyes:

Back