What is the best tank for a pico setup?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Zoanthrope

I have been looking at many of the small bio cubes, the Ecopico, and others as well as building my own. Now, I might be starting an opinion war here, but what is the best way to go for a tank under 10 gallons (no sump!) lets also assume I would like to avoid extensively modifying an out of the box setup. Not expecting this to support SPS. Mostly looking to do a sexy shrimp on frogspawn tank.

Do you plan on adding a skimmer to the tank? I guess this will be the deciding factor on which tank to go with as some of the smaller cubes like say the 6 gal JBJ nano cube comes with a hood attached to it so adding a decent skimmer takes some modifying so let us know on that. For me personally, where I'd want a good skimmer, I'd probably opt for a custom built pico. This way you could customize it to your own liking. Then there is also the option of modifying a standard 5 gal tank. I did this with a 10 gal which came out nice. I never got to set it up because a buddy bought it off of me, but I did water test it with the flow etc and it worked like a charm. Here is a link to the build if you want to browse through it to get a few ideas. Good luck! :)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f204/krishs-10-gal-nano-build-57551/

I have been looking at many of the small bio cubes, the Ecopico, and others as well as building my own. Now, I might be starting an opinion war here, but what is the best way to go for a tank under 10 gallons (no sump!) lets also assume I would like to avoid extensively modifying an out of the box setup. Not expecting this to support SPS. Mostly looking to do a sexy shrimp on frogspawn tank.

I'm a bit biased but my wife and I are picking up 2 ecopico's at Barrier's sale this weekend for $80.00 each. An insanely good deal, add some more leds and you're all set.

I'm going to loosely follow this build:

> > > Ecopico Saltwater Build ! ! - 3reef Forums

the 12x12x12 cube at barrier is a really good way to go thats what I have been running for 2 years yes I have put a sump on it for the fun of it and no I do not run a skimmer as with a tank this small you only have to do a 1 gallon a week water change and problem is solved.

hmm, finding adequate lighting for a good price will be the trick. but the starfire cubes do sound really good....

I have seen those at the LFS and I am not impressed with the color. everything looks dull and washed out. maybe more blue spectrum? maybe other brands differ. the ones I saw were EcoRay

I'm not sure, I know there are a few different brands with different color mixes.

Ecoxotic has a 5 led setup (2blue/3white)
Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lights

Rapidled has a 7 led (4blue/3white)
7 LED PAR38 Bulb

Both use Cree LEDs which seems to be about the best LED for DIY and has 2+ year history on growing corals with DIY setups. I wasn't able to find what LEDs Ecoray uses.

i took a marineland led minibow tank and put a hang on bakck filter on it and a heater inside and it does great. it is now stable enough i plan on adding my first sps very soon.

i also have used par38 bulbs and they work great, i would suggest boostled or ecoxotic. or there is rapid led. also consider the panorama modules. they are pretty cheap and offer great lighting options.

I am thinking the Ecoxotic lights meant for the eco pico. i can add on, so i am thinking 3 strips. my main issue with all the others is how to mount them on a 12 in cube.

Why not make a lil stand for the tank and have a board come off the back and up and wat not to hold the strips? Wat about putting some strips of aluminum between them and the board. You could also get the reflectors for the strips. I run par38s. They grow coral indeed.
The rapids ones are powered down to 2ws and i suggest the 60deg optics on em! By stand i mean a couple 2x4s or a frame or something laying flat on watever or wherever ur placing it!

Their is also evil leds that has a very similar to the ecoexotic ones but cheaper!

I like the ecoexotic ones so far!

Orphek makes one but its dang spendy $$$

The ecoray ones use 1w brigdeblux's or watever....theyres 15 of em though :) ....

PICS PICS I want pics!

for my panorama fixture i hung it from a couple metal brackets with some chain. its easy to do just mount the fixture to a small piece of wood relatively the same size and drill hooks into that then hang it with some cheap chain from the local hardware store.

this is something i have trouble understanding with aquarists is that i see a huge investment for lots of pretty fish and then they have it sitting on a pile of 2x4s with an ugly contraption on top. I think this is why i like the all in one tanks because they neatly solve these aesthetic problems. I may bend some acrylic to make a stand on the tank or curve off the back to hold some panorama strips.

i never said anything about it being ugly!
U can dress up ur tank or stand all u want.... e.g. paint, trim.... and such

wat matters to me is the actual tank and inhabitants! Some aquarists really get into building stands and staining em and placing nice mahogony trim pieces on it! Kinda part of the hobby!

this is how i mounted my panorama fixture.

238.jpg

and again there are alot of rinless tanks that have very sleek beautiful looking light hanging kits and such. i believe that sort of thing looks way better than a hood or canopy.

OK, agreed that a canopy would ruin the rimless look. So I got the 12X12X12 rimless starphire tank with 2 white/blue panorama strips. a mini koralia 425gph and a small heater. I will post some pics when I get the light fixture built.

i never said anything about it being ugly!
U can dress up ur tank or stand all u want.... e.g. paint, trim.... and such

wat matters to me is the actual tank and inhabitants! Some aquarists really get into building stands and staining em and placing nice mahogony trim pieces on it! Kinda part of the hobby!

In my short time in this hobby I have seen pics of many systems. Some have beautiful tanks sitting on a 2x4 stand with no doors, buckets, hoses , and wires, all exsposed.
Some have beautiful custom built stands with a tank that has a pile of rock that look like they were just dumped into the tank.
Some have all the wires, plumbing, HOB skimmers, filters, heaters hanging all over the tank.
Beauty is in the Eye of the be holder

For me it is all about the build. My tank has only been up for a few months and I am already designing my next system. This to me is what I enjoy the most in this hobby.

i do agree the beauty is not just the fish and coral within, it has to be presented to the onlooker cleanly, thats what a stand or canopy helps you do. but then you cant show off your lighting and thats why we have rimless tanks.

Back