What kind of filter media do you run?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RegalFlush17

Hi, I am trying to figure out what is the best combonation of filter media which also includes finding which brands are the best. I am looking for a carbon and phosphate remover but have not settled on a brand for either yet. I was looking at Seachems SeaGel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

RegalFlush

I seriously don't know anything about filter media since i haven't used it, but in my own opinion it seems like it'd be better if you buy 2 phosban reactors and use one for carbon and one for the phosban.
One time i asked an lfs about their phosban media and they were selling me white balls :)lol::p) and they were way pricey., so on that side if you wanna be cheap, get the phosban reactor.

Well i'm not running any media at this moment, but I WILL :p .

hmm my buddy Krish told me about this media he uses and I WILL use it too.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Product_Code=TLF-PHOSBAN&Category_Code=TLF

it's called phosban and it seems like it does the job :) .
There's other phosban medias but i can't remember the name, Steve knows (wrightme43)

I use Black Diamond carbon 24/7 and Kent Phosphate Sponge as needed. Many use iron based phosphate removers like phosban or rowaphos, instead of aluminium based ones like Kent, but I have used the Kent for many years now and I have not observed any ill effects on my corals.

MikeS

I run the black diamond carbon like Mike as well 24/7 changing it every 2 weeks and then I run the Julian Sprung's phosban media like Gabby said in my Two Little Fishies phosban reactor that I change ever 2.5-3 months. Works great for me:)

For the large tanks I use Seachem Matrix carbon 24/7 changed weekly and ROWAphos changed as needed. For the smaller tanks I use the same carbon but Polyfilter pads instead of ROWAphos.

Cheers
Steve

I've been running Seachem matrix carbon and phosban in seperate TLF reactors for a about 6 months now. I replace about a third of the media in each reactor every other month. Haven't seen a phosphate reading above zero since I added the Phosban. The tank is a 75 with softies.

Back