What kind of sea salt do you use?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
So fist time saltwater person here...

I was going to do a water change today but i am using instant ocean sea salt and there is still a bunch of it in the bottm of the tank that just wont dislove! I was going to change 5 gal out of my 30 so i set up my 10 gal with the clean water at 8 am and some of the salt is still there. Yes there is a powerhead going and i have even been swooshing the water around a lot!

Any one else use this stuff and having the same problem? Si this just not a very good brand?

What is a better brand of sea salt?

not the salt, but the salt mixer.
Try mixing before adding the water to the tank.
If you are making a reef please switch to REEF CRYSTALS its better

I use IO salt also. I've never had a problem, but I let it mix for about 24-48 hrs. Lee has a good article to read that should tell you all about water changes also. Proper Water Chamge

How much salt did you use? I know one time I made a mistake and added salt twice:oops: and the calcium percipitated (i think this is the correct term) So although the salt disolved the calcium became a solid and stuck to the sides of my container and also had particles in the bottom of the container. I believe this can also happen if you put in the salt first and then add water, since the concentration would be too high at first. It is recommended that you always add the salt to the water, not the other way around.

Hopefully I explained this right or someone else will chime in and clarify what I said.

How much salt did you use? I know one time I made a mistake and added salt twice:oops: and the calcium percipitated (i think this is the correct term) So although the salt disolved the calcium became a solid and stuck to the sides of my container and also had particles in the bottom of the container. I believe this can also happen if you put in the salt first and then add water, since the concentration would be too high at first. It is recommended that you always add the salt to the water, not the other way around.

Hopefully I explained this right or someone else will chime in and clarify what I said.

I put the right amount of salt in. I did water then added salt, maybe i added the salt too fast?

What's your salinity at? Instant Ocean is a fine brand of salt, so don't worry about that. Maybe your powerhead is too weak to mix it? Also, it's much better to mix the salt and water in a separate container like a Brute trashcan. I assume there is nothing living in the tank right now, so it's ok to mix the salt/water in the tank for now.

tropic marin Pro ref.

no power needed for mixing... no 24hr buffing... but 2 cups (level) home depot bucket filled to the line (about 2" down")

1.026 every every every time... takes me about 5 min a water change..

did 5 on my tank and 5 on the srg's tank last night in under 30 min..

also cleaned the glass and all sorts of other things.

Why is it better? What are the differences? Do you sell both? I really have only used IO. Are there tests or other details that could show us what you mean as better is pretty vague.

thanks for any info.

It's higher in calcium and magnesium, which are both used up more quickly in a reef tank than a fish only tank.

Why is it better? What are the differences? Do you sell both? I really have only used IO. Are there tests or other details that could show us what you mean as better is pretty vague.

thanks for any info.

Also if your not aware, RC is the same company that makes IO but RC has bumped up levels of CA, MG, Alk!

I use IO.

I'd like to know what the salinity of your water is, how long it was mixing, and what it was getting mixed with (i.e. powerhead, pump, etc)? I mix mine in a brute garbage can with a pump. I just dump in the needed amount of mix, and let her rip. Then check in later and measure my salinity, add any necessary supplements, and wait 24-48 hours before the water change.

Here are some articles for you, and a thread listed at the end from Reef Central. This thread is a list of salt mixes, someone put together, and how their Ca, Mg, and Alk all tested:

The Composition of Several Synthetic Seawater Mixes

The Chemical Analysis of Select Trace Elements in Synthetic Sea Salts and Natural Seawater

Inland Reef Aquaria Salt Study, Part I

Inland Reef Auaria Salt Study, Part II

A General Guide to Salt Mixes

Back