What light do you use in your refugium!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm running a 13W compact fluorescent (I think it's 13). That's one of the funny looking spiral lamps. I believe it's supposed to be the equivalent of a 75W incandescent lamp but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. My chaeto seems happy.

Mike

I run a 200w flourescent flood light from home depot in a 10 dollar aluminum reflector/clip it works like a champ

i had mine on a reverse cycle when my halides turned off my fuge lights turned off....i also ran it for 24/7 for a few weeks but as soon as i put the 70w halide on it macro was growing like crazy an now i just put a 150w on it and see where that takes me

I run the little CF on a reverse cycle as well. I like it because it's a cheap solution and it doesn't drink a lot of juice when it's running.

Mike

I originally got a $25 13W 6.5k plant grow bulb from the indoor sun shop (compact fluorescent spiral bulb like stated above.) Was awesome and lasted for years. I then replaced it with what looks like the same stats, 13W (60 or 75W equivelant) that I got at lowes. The lowe's one seems to put out less light (maybe 30% less), but macros still seem to be growing just fine, so whatever.

I leave it on 24/7

I also use a pair of the cheap spiral CF 6500k bulbs. I got them at Freddy's in a three pack. Cheap. I run them 24/7.

I use a LED fixture I picked up on Ebay for an experiment. It is by Yescom....the model is the Reef Ultimate. I think it was $80 shipped. Worked great for all the corals I had....some grew much quicker than under my MH's. Now I use it as fuge light since I have my 250w HQI running on display. Working great as fuge light too.....GSP, Xenia, and macro is all growing very quickly.

I have my LED's running opposite of the MH

Last edited:
I am running a 2 x 24w t-5 on my refugium and I pull a larger freezer bag of macro once a month. Also have it on opposite cycle of main lights.

I use two 400W MH, 6,5K!:bump2: Kidding! LOL
I'm still waiting on my new tank that never arrived! :yell:

I use to use a small coralife pc fixture designed for freshwater tanks. Did the job. I think it was somewhere around 18w??? Can't remember exactly, but sure it wasn't over 20 watts:)

Back