What method do you use to cycle a new tank??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What method do you use to cycle a new tank??

• Liverock

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Livesand

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Raw shrimp method

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Hardy fish

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Base rock/sand seeded with liverock or livesand from another tank

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • "Bottled Bacteria"

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Ah yea going the shrimp route is fine, done it a million times. The only thing it risks is smell and a possible bacterial bloom.

no biggie at that stage of the game.

Mojo

I started with 30lbs of LR, about 30lbs of live sand from my 20 long that is now my sump, also used all of the water from my 20. I then added 50lbs of dry rock, 50lbs of new/dry substrate and a bottle of bacteria(dont remember the name, but it smells really bad). Now on week 3 and amonia, nitrites are 0 and nitrates are showing although low. This is with live stock in tank(very little).

This is a great thread as i plan to cycle my tank soon. So is the brightwell product not a good way to go in the long run? or will it just take slightly longer to get to where you need to be to add livestock? I was planning on using it as ive had greta success with all their their products. So its good to hear both sides of the product.

if u have to cure your liverock anyways its fine to do so in the tank but i really like having the cycle at least started before i put the final live rock in. u will have less problems with algae on the rocks and give the corraline a better chance to claim the rock if u wait a bit on the rock. if the rock is already cured and colored up go ahead and cycle with the rock. i always hate seeing good live rock go green but it takes a lot more patience not to just throw everything in at once. though lots of folks arent even cycling anymore as long as you have established/well cured live rock.

if none of those are an option i would start with only a portion of the live rock maybe just the base and a good bacteria in a bottle product. then add the remaining live rock when the cycle is done or nearly done.

Last edited:
Back