What other animals reduce nitrates?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ed Hahn

Life is A Highway...
I have heard of Sponges, Clams, and Xenia. What other animals help maintain nitrates in our Saltwater Aquariums? I am not talking about the animal that sticks his hand in the tank and does water changes.

Thanks in Advance,
Ed

I'll toss bacteria in the mix, as it does a great job at denitrification. How about Nuisance algae?

What about the NO3 nomes. Just a joke. I think its pretty well covered. Mangrove trees, gracilla feeding algae, coraline algae are the only others I can think of. Steve

Inverts such as shrimp. They eat up all the organics especially from fish poop before it converts to nitrate.

What about the NO3 nomes.

Oh man - the gnomes are the best....I like to watch for them at night. Sometimes I can hear them whistling while they are cleaning :)

I'll add cyanobacteria, as I believe it is the best at nitrogen removal?

NaH2O said:
Oh man - the gnomes are the best....I like to watch for them at night. Sometimes I can hear them whistling while they are cleaning :)

Nikki, those gnomes must be imported from Zurich. We may want to rethink the cyano-bugs :) Bob

NaH2O said:

good one! Under the proper anaerobic conditions, Cyanobacteria utilize heterocysts in which nitrogen fixation can occur.

Im not too sure if its the best though as they have to be in the right conditions for this to occur.

You forgot The ''pink bellied fire jellywobble'' that resides in the deep recesses of the yellow stone coral...it needs to synthesize pure nitrate to breath, using its extended gill flaps it can consume the equivelent of 50ppm nitrate per gal per night...

I have two for sale...anything over $5000 each will secure sale..............

coolcol said:
You forgot The ''pink bellied fire jellywobble'' that resides in the deep recesses of the yellow stone coral...it needs to synthesize pure nitrate to breath, using its extended gill flaps it can consume the equivelent of 50ppm nitrate per gal per night...

I have two for sale...anything over $5000 each will secure sale..............

We call those flatulents in here in Washingtion. If you could take a picture of both of them I might be interested.....pink bellied fire jellywobble..lmao

Hey I Know Somebody That Actually Has An "eco Aqualizer" And He Can't Tell If It Works Or Not. I Told Him He Is A Fool, But Hey Everybody Has Bought Some Gimmic Device At One Time Or Another. Sorry Jeff! Jokes On You.

I know clams were already mentioned, but when i was having a nitrate problem in my 29gal i put a thorny oyster in and my nitrates dropped from 40ish to undetectable in only days, the problem is that they require additional feeding or they will starve as was the case with mine. RIP old friend.

cheers Ed, sorry couldnt help it with that last post!
Good job you guys got a good sense of humour!

How about corals? They'll take it up. In fact, I thiink most of the thin tissues sessile inverts will take care of them...as do phytoplankton (live) - and best to culture oneslef.

Hi Eric! Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! It's great to have you join us!

Back