Seachem levels:

Ca 420
Kh 8.5
Mg 1300

Tunze:

Ca 430
Kh 9
Mg 1350

These are averages from the tests that I would take on new batch mixes. I like both, but I feel that I can use more test kits on the Tunze salt and get more accurate results. When I was using Seachem I never felt like my Elos or Salifert kits were testing correctly because they were always a little off from the Seachem test kits. Weird.

Seachem levels:

Ca 420
Kh 8.5
Mg 1300

Tunze:

Ca 430
Kh 9
Mg 1350

These are averages from the tests that I would take on new batch mixes. I like both, but I feel that I can use more test kits on the Tunze salt and get more accurate results. When I was using Seachem I never felt like my Elos or Salifert kits were testing correctly because they were always a little off from the Seachem test kits. Weird.

Thanks for the results Bricky...just grabbed a bag of the tunze salt today at BR so I'll give it a try.:)

Ive been using RC for a couple of years and I really enjoy it. It mixes up nice everytime to the same levels so I guess I have had good luck with it so far I will keep with it.

+1 on the Tunze, I was using IO but started doing my water changes with Tunze about a month ago and am starting to see a very noticeable difference in my coral color. Everything (SPS) is getting bluer/pinker/greener etc. I have even noticed a big change in my ricordias in the last week or so. I think the salt is going to be worth the extra money!
The Tunze also mixes up much cleaner and produces much clearer water. The last few buckets of IO I used had a brown scum that built up in my mixing barrel at the water line, which is what got me to try a different salt.

10 dollar big bucket of tropic marin for me :) guy that sold my friend a 110Gallon sold him the full bucket of salt for 10. i have instant ocean as well but stopped using it once i got the tropic marin. the guy said its the best and most natural stuff for their environment, i have never heard of it though before we got it from him so is it really pretty much the best stuff you can get? he said it was like 100 for the bucket when he first bought it.

Been using Oceanic salt mix for the past 5 years with good results. I'll post some numbers on this latest batch soon.

I might have to try out the Tunze brand and see what happens.

I switched from Instant Ocean to Tropic Marin about 3 months ago and I would never go back to IO. Im getting much better color and growth from all of my corals since i made the change.

I switched from Instant Ocean to Tropic Marin about 3 months ago and I would never go back to IO. Im getting much better color and growth from all of my corals since i made the change.

I much more is it then IO? Also where do you get it from?

The tropic marin is more expensive then IO. It usually runs for $90-$100 for a 200 gallon bucket. But as much money as I've spent on some of my corals I think its worth spending the extra 30-40 bucks especially if im getting better color and growth.

The tropic marin is more expensive then IO. It usually runs for $90-$100 for a 200 gallon bucket. But as much money as I've spent on some of my corals I think its worth spending the extra 30-40 bucks especially if im getting better color and growth.

Where are you finding the Tropic Marin salt mix at? I've never seen it at the LFS before.

Cheers,
Alex

Back