What salt mix are SPS-ers here using?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hey joe what do you think about
Tropic Marin Bio-Actif Salt Mix

Personally I haven't had any experience with it, so I can't really give an honest review. That being said, I've known a few people using it with successful results, but on the other hand you'll also find people who swear it's just more snake oil. Personally, I'd rather watch other reefers "test" it before putting it in any of my tanks or customers' tanks for that matter. I will say, as I stated before - a quality salt blend is one of the most important foundations to a successful reef. On the other hand, a person could have the best of the best equipment, livestock, chemicals etc; and still have nothing but a glorified algae farm. All tanks are different, as are the hobbyists themselves.

Joe,

have you used Reef Crystals? how does this compare to the Ca, Alk,Mg result you gave me?

Joe,

have you used Reef Crystals? how does this compare to the Ca, Alk,Mg result you gave me?

I haven't personally used Reef Crystals due to the reported levels which are 490, 13, 1440 respectively. I think if you look around on this forum you will find others reporting nearly the same.

I've used IO and RC. There have been some inconsistant results in the parameters, but I'll correct low findings. I usually buy in bulk and what I buy usually depends upon the deal I can get. I've used RC pretty exclusively for the past 6 years. I started on IO in 1997.

:eek:

179295_518539458601_299000042_648336_7041737_n.jpg

I already burned through the bucket of Bio-Actif, I liked it but I'm not sure if its worth the extra $20+ more a bucket over Pro-Reef. Regardless it will be a while before I need to make that decision again.

Last edited:
Back