what to buy!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I also bought salifert 'all in one' reef supplement for my tank for later on when i start to stock coral...

I would strongly suggest NOT to use this as a "blanket all in one" food. Many of these "all in one" foods will foul a tank real quick, and it's often used indiscriminately without regard as to whether the coral can actually use the food to start with.

When buying a new coral, research it's feeding requirements and find out if it even needs supplemental feeding, and if so, what it prefers. You can find many posts on aquarium forums of people buying a single frag and suddenly dumping a bunch of coral food in and wondering why they're battling cyano, hair algae, and high nitrate levels.

im not sure but arent you supposed to have some nitrite in the tank? > 10 but < 0

The last year I've kept my tank less that "0" on the test I do, less is better but not totally necessary!

Now that I said that, I better go check them because they probably will go off scale LOL!:p

The last year I've kept my tank less that "0" on the test I do, less is better but not totally necessary!

Now that I said that, I better go check them because they probably will go off scale LOL!

Scooty if you have nitrites (not nitrates) then you got some issues:p

"0" Nitrites, Nitrates & ammonia! I haven't tried testing with Lab grate test kits, so I'm sure I actually have some record-able readings but IMO not enough to be considered a problem.

Want to thank everyone who has replyed to my thread:D this is by far the best 'marine fish forum' i've used....

Right, i've just finished doing my weekly water change and I did a phosphate water test and the result was 0.1 so Im quite happy with that! reckon it will go down to zero esp becuase i have now changed the cheap carbon that came with the tank to rowa carbon which is much better stuff and is not meant to leek back into the tank excess phosphate.

I also bought salifert 'all in one' reef supplement for my tank for later on when i start to stock coral.

p.s I will soon be posting pictures of my tank for you all to see;)

Oh and i forgot to mension my snails arrived today
3 ceriths
3 trochus
6 nassarius

my tank has quite a bit of algie so hopefully the little beasts will sort it out asap!:D

Smart call on the trocus! They will actually tolerate "reef" temperatures, unlike astrea.

I've heard mixed views on myself being able to keep a torch coral and a hammerhead!

I know torch coral's can sting other corals but surely if they are not placed next to other corals they will be fine?

We have had a torch coral and a hammer coral living next to each other (not touching) for a couple of months and they are both doing well. We do target feed both of them a few times a week and they are high in a 58g tank with about 7watts per gallon. We'lltry to post a picture tomorrow.

Keep it simple man. This hobbie gets too worked up about chemicals and such. Make sure you have tests, a PH buffer, a DKH buffer, some Cal add's and some Iodine and that should do it. If you want to spend some extra money; than better to purchase an RO filter which can also be way over done. 3 stage is fine unless you live on Vashon, than I'd go bigger!!!

Back