What to feed small clam

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brenden

See Anemaknee
I took Melissa to the LFS today and she saw a small crocea clam she wanted. I told her it would have to be target feed but it did not deter her. So now I have a small 1.5" clam. I have fed them phyto in the past. Is there anything else you recommend feeding them?

LIGHT!!!! and feed your fish, thats all thats needed. if it makes you feel good then add a little phyto 2 or 3 times a week to the tank. dont squirt it at or in the clam just put it in the tank.

I have always been told that the smaller ones less than 2" need supplimental feeding. In the past I would figure out which way the current was going and squirt in in slowly up-current so it flow over the clam. Is this not good?

its a myth that clams below size X need to be feed. this was started when Dr. Shimek wrote an article for DT's phyto, to sell phyto. if you read the article and then check the references he used, the references contradict the article.

clams do filter feed but are primary photosynthetic and are capable of sustaining them selves on light alone when they are just millimeters in length.

heres a study of larval clams that were kept in micro filtered water and not allowed to get any particulate, and they did just fine.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0006-3185(198110)161:2<213:SDAAOZ>2.0.CO;2-N&size=LARGE

How big was it when you started feedong and how many months until it was 3-4 inches?

I have always been told that the smaller ones less than 2" need supplimental feeding. In the past I would figure out which way the current was going and squirt in in slowly up-current so it flow over the clam. Is this not good?

Just added pollution. Light and more light. I might be able to justify feeing if you didnt have enough light but in that case I'd hope you wouldnt buy it.:)

Don

The newly released book Giant Clams in the Sea and the Aquarium by the clam expert James Fatherree states that target feeding is not needed. Any sourse of carbon in solution acts as supplimental food, lighting being what is primarily required. I purchased 2 baby clams a few months ago, they are thriving and growing with no spot feeding.

From what I understand in the reading I've done of recent studies, clams do NOT need fed at all. I agree with those above saying it's a myth. It'll pollute your water, although I target feed some of my LPS, so I suppose that pollutes the water as well but I'm very careful about how much I feed and try to be very precise about getting it to the corals.

Give it the lighting it needs, excellent water quality and the CA levels it requires and it'll thrive.

I have had clams before but sold them about 6 months ago. The only difference was they were larger. I did not target feed them. They were in my tank about a year before I sold them. I just never had one this small. Thanks for the info everyone.

our 5.5 has a outter orbit HQt 70watt...

we plan on keeping a small clam or some sort some day soon...

just wanna give the tank a little bit more time to get stable 'er

but this has bin a good info point thanks guys

I wouldn't consider trying to keep a clam under that lighting. It just IMO, isn't going to be enough. Clams need the lighting to thrive.

I have a gold maxima in a 10 gallon with a 70 watt MH and it is very happy and healthy. It is just about the only thing in the tank but it is very happy.

its a myth that clams below size X need to be feed. this was started when Dr. Shimek wrote an article for DT's phyto, to sell phyto. if you read the article and then check the references he used, the references contradict the article.

clams do filter feed but are primary photosynthetic and are capable of sustaining them selves on light alone when they are just millimeters in length.

heres a study of larval clams that were kept in micro filtered water and not allowed to get any particulate, and they did just fine.

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0006-3185(198110)161:2<213:SDAAOZ>2.0.CO;2-N&size=LARGE

OMG - I'm so glad you posted this! I've been following that myth...not because of the article by Shimek, but because it was told to me by a fellow reefer. Thanks for the info and the link!

OMG - I'm so glad you posted this! I've been following that myth...not because of the article by Shimek, but because it was told to me by a fellow reefer. Thanks for the info and the link!

Nikki,
Pick up the new clam book that was mentioned earlier. Its a easy and informative read.

Don

Back