What type of protein skimmer do you use?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What type of protein skimmer do you use?

• Air stone

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Venturi

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Needle wheel/mesh wheel/pinwheel

Votes: 85 76.6%
  • Downdraft

• Beckett

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Spray induction/injection

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Re-circulating

• Other

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
I have the reef octopus BH 300f. What category does that fall under? Works great and skims a lot, but sometimes makes anoying noises. I think I need to replace one of the internal pumps.

Well have you taken the pumps apart before? Are there needle or mesh for your impeller......does a feed pump suck water and flow trough skimmer or does your drain run in series with your skimmer

Currently using and ATB XL Cone and have a BK400 (Dual RD2500's) on the bench.

Perfect for the 3,000 gallon lagoon I'm dreaming of.

SWC 250, with red demon needle wheels, upgraded reducers and a 6" tall neck added to the collection cup.

Have the following skimmers in use,
CPR Bak Pak Modded on 20H nano
CPR AquaFuge PS skimmer fuge combo on 20L tank
Aquatic Life 115 skimmer on the 7 gallon
Reef Octo NW110 modded going on the 65H

more old school

old school here...Aqua-C EV180 w/mag7

Like Jake I am running Aqua-C"s
I have redundant Remora Pro's in a 150 modified to mag drive 5's
And redundant Urchins one pro one small school in my 75 gallon sps tank

All skimmers over 5 years old and still pulling the crud out.
Lots of new stuff out there, However this is working and payed for:D

CNC 300A (think SWC 250A extended neck) on my 230 gallon system (Askoll 1500).
Super Reef Octopus XP-5000 Internal Cone on my Dads 255 gallon tank (Bubble Blaster 5000).
Royal Exclusiv Alpha Cone 300 on the 535g display I'm building (2x Red Dragon 1500).

SWC Mini S Cone on the main system. Euroreef RS100 going to the office tank and a Eshopps PSK-100h on the frag tank in the garage...

H&S AF150-2001 with a mesh mod....noticed some improvement in performance, but not a whole lot.

I'm definately looking to see what's upcoming and what the "hot" new skimmer designs are for an upgrade in the future. One thing I keep coming back to is wanting a skimmer a rated for at least twice my systems size....

The new cone mesh skimmers seem to be pretty popular right now, and I know they're pulling monster amounts of air and using very little electricity to do it, but are they that big of an improvement over re-circ designs?

Nick

Back